Negative work, positive work problems

In summary, Example 23.2 in University Physics discusses negative and positive work in relation to bringing charges from infinity to a designated point. In question b, the external force does negative work as it is in the opposite direction to the attraction between the charges. This is because the charges are brought in one at a time from infinity, resulting in a net negative work.
cuongbui1702
Example 23.2 in University Physics of Young and Freedman, i have a confusion with Negative work, positive work
In question b, Why the external force does a negative work (as i know, when you put three charges from infinity to the point of need identified, we will always do a force has the same way with objects)
Example 23.2:
Question-chapter23_zps499536d7.png

My picture:
Question_zps64ca29da.png

Physics news on Phys.org
cuongbui1702 said:
Example 23.2 in University Physics of Young and Freedman, i have a confusion with Negative work, positive work
In question b, Why the external force does a negative work (as i know, when you put three charges from infinity to the point of need identified, we will always do a force has the same way with objects)
I don't understand your question or your diagram.

Imagine each charge is brought one at a time from infinity to its final position. Figure out the work done in each case. Add the work up to get the total work.

The external force is in the opposite direction to the attraction between the opposite charges so it does negative work as the charges approach each other.

Sorry because english is second language, so that i writte so bad. I mean external force is same direction of movement, why the work is negative

cuongbui1702 said:
Sorry because english is second language, so that i writte so bad. I mean external force is same direction of movement, why the work is negative
Again, you must consider how the charge distribution is assembled from infinity. Start with the first charge in its final position. Then bring in the second charge from infinity to its final position. Since that charge is attracted to the first, you must exert an outward force to bring it there (at uniform speed), thus moving that second charge involves negative work. Adding the third charge, as you've seen in part a, involves positive work. But the net work is negative.

Related to Negative work, positive work problems

What is negative work?

Negative work is when the force applied to an object is in the opposite direction of the displacement of the object. This results in a decrease in the object's energy.

What is positive work?

Positive work is when the force applied to an object is in the same direction as the displacement of the object. This results in an increase in the object's energy.

How do you calculate work?

Work is calculated by multiplying the force applied to an object by the distance the object moves in the direction of the force. The formula for work is W = F x d, where W is work, F is force, and d is distance.

What is the unit of work?

The unit of work is joules (J). This is the same unit as energy, as work is essentially the transfer of energy.

What are some real-life examples of negative and positive work?

Examples of negative work include slowing down a car by applying the brakes, lowering an object to the ground, or pushing a shopping cart uphill. Examples of positive work include lifting an object off the ground, accelerating a car, or climbing stairs.