Negative sign when finding forces from derivative of potential?

In summary, the conversation discusses the Coulomb potential, gravitational potential, and harmonic potential, and the confusion surrounding the signs used in calculating force through derivatives. The expert suggests using F = -dV/dx to determine the direction of the force, and provides a helpful resource for further understanding of negative signs in potential.
21joanna12
Hi! I'm currently reading a book where they give the Coulomb potential, gravitational potential and harmonic potential as

+Q1Q2/4∏εx

-Gm1m2/x

+(1/2)qx2

I think I get the signs as they are used here, but when I am trying to find the force by taking the derivative of these with respect to x, I don't know whether to to f= +dV/dx or f= -dV/dx for any of them and I can't figure out the significance of the sign- which way is defined as +ve/-ve and why?

Sorry if I posted this is the wrong place or if it is not very clear :/ This is my first post of PF...

Thank you for any replies! :)

Physics news on Phys.org
F = -dV/dx

This way the force points "down" the slope to a lower potential.

Thank you! :)

As a fellow scientist, I can assure you that you are not alone in your confusion about the negative sign when finding forces from the derivative of potential. In fact, this is a common source of confusion for many students and researchers in the field of physics.

The key to understanding the negative sign is to remember that forces are vectors, meaning they have both magnitude and direction. The negative sign simply represents the direction of the force.

In the case of the Coulomb potential, the negative sign indicates that the force between two charged particles is attractive, pulling them towards each other. Similarly, the negative sign in the gravitational potential indicates an attractive force between two masses.

On the other hand, the positive sign in the harmonic potential indicates a repulsive force, pushing the particle away from the equilibrium position.

Therefore, when taking the derivative of these potentials to find the force, it is important to include the negative sign to correctly represent the direction of the force.

I hope this helps clarify the significance of the negative sign and how it is defined in the context of finding forces from the derivative of potential. Keep up the good work in your studies and don't hesitate to ask for clarification when needed. Good luck!

Related to Negative sign when finding forces from derivative of potential?

What does a negative sign indicate when finding forces from the derivative of potential?

A negative sign indicates that the force is in the opposite direction of the potential gradient. This means that the force is acting towards the point of lower potential.

Why is there a negative sign in the equation for force from potential?

The negative sign is a result of the direction of the force being opposite to the direction of the potential gradient. This is known as the negative gradient property.

Can the negative sign be ignored when calculating forces from potential?

No, the negative sign must be included in the calculation to accurately determine the direction of the force. Ignoring the negative sign would result in an incorrect direction for the force.

What happens if the negative sign is accidentally dropped in the calculation of force from potential?

If the negative sign is dropped, the result will be a force with the incorrect direction. This can lead to incorrect predictions and interpretations in the study of physical systems.

Are there any exceptions to the negative sign in the equation for force from potential?

In some cases, such as in the study of electric or magnetic fields, the negative sign may be replaced with a positive sign. This is due to the nature of these fields and the convention used in their calculations.