Negative Focal Length and Convex Mirrors: Is 1/di Negative?

In summary, negative focal length refers to the distance between the focal point and the mirror surface in a convex mirror, where the focal point is located behind the mirror's surface. It is measured as the distance from the mirror's surface to the focal point, represented as "f" in equations, and is always negative in convex mirrors. A negative 1/di value indicates a virtual image located behind the mirror's surface, resulting in a smaller, upright, and virtual image in convex mirrors due to the divergence of light rays.
luysion
Hey,
When dealing with convex mirrors I know that the image will always be virtual,upright and diminished. So when I am using descartes's formulae i know that for convex mirrors that the focal length is negative, but does my 1/di become negative? because virtual images have a negative height and distance.

Cheers

Science news on Phys.org
Yes, the image distance is negative for a convex mirror. (This follows directly from the spherical mirror equation.)

Yes, in the case of convex mirrors, the 1/di will also be negative. This is because the distance of the virtual image from the mirror is measured in the opposite direction of the incident light, making it a negative value. This also aligns with the fact that the virtual image has a negative height and distance, as you mentioned. It is important to remember that the negative sign in front of the focal length and 1/di indicates the direction of the image and not its size. I hope this helps clarify any confusion.

Related to Negative Focal Length and Convex Mirrors: Is 1/di Negative?

1. What is negative focal length in the context of convex mirrors?

Negative focal length refers to the distance between the focal point and the mirror surface in a convex mirror. It is negative because the focal point is located behind the mirror's surface, which is opposite to the direction of light rays.

2. How is the negative focal length measured in convex mirrors?

The negative focal length is measured as the distance from the mirror's surface to the focal point, which is typically represented as "f" in equations. It is a negative value because the focal point is located behind the mirror's surface.

3. Is 1/di always negative in convex mirrors?

Yes, in convex mirrors, 1/di (the inverse of the image distance) is always negative. This is because the image formed by a convex mirror is always virtual and located behind the mirror's surface, resulting in a negative value for di.

4. What does a negative 1/di value indicate in convex mirrors?

A negative 1/di value indicates that the image formed by a convex mirror is virtual, meaning it cannot be projected onto a screen. It also indicates that the image is located behind the mirror's surface, resulting in a negative value for di.

5. How does a negative focal length affect the image formed by a convex mirror?

A negative focal length results in a smaller, upright, and virtual image in a convex mirror. This is because the focal point is located behind the mirror's surface, causing the light rays to diverge and form an image that is smaller than the object and located behind the mirror.