Negative feedback - Open loop gain question

In summary, the conversation discusses the topic of negative feedback and how to determine open loop gain in a circuit. The question arises as to why certain resistances in circuit(a) turn into what is seen in circuit(b). The explanation is that these resistors need to be taken into account because they load the amplifier and can change the open loop gain. To change circuit(a) into circuit(b), one simply needs to find the resistances seen from the emitter terminals into the ground. The conversation ends with the clarification that the open loop gain is not simply the feedback circuit removed, but also takes into account the loading effect of certain resistors.
okami11408
This is my first post here.

I'm currently learning about Negative feedback.

Normally, When we want to know the open loop gain, we rewrite circuit(a) to circuit(b).

My question is why do RE1,RF,RE2 from circuit(a) turn into what we see circuit(b)?

what is a theory behind this?

In my opinion, if we want to find the openloop gain, why don't we just take the RF out.

I may misunderstand something, please help!

Here's the image.

http://forum.allaboutcircuits.com/cache.php?url=http://img821.imageshack.us/img821/1626/60542118.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Engineering news on Phys.org
We need to include this resistors into account for one simple reason.
Those resistor load our amplifier. So the Open loop gain will change.

And to change circuit(a) into circuit(b) we simply need to find the resistance seen from emitter Q1 terminal into the ground. And the resistance seen from Q3 emitter into the GND.

Jony130 said:
We need to include this resistors into account for one simple reason.
Those resistor load our amplifier. So the Open loop gain will change.

And to change circuit(a) into circuit(b) we simply need to find the resistance seen from emitter Q1 terminal into the ground. And the resistance seen from Q3 emitter into the GND.

Now I got it. Those resistor load our amplifier too.

The reason why I confuse is I think "open loop" maybe something like we take the feedback circuit out of the circuit.

Thank you so much :-p

Related to Negative feedback - Open loop gain question

What is negative feedback?

Negative feedback is a mechanism in a system where a portion of the output is fed back and subtracted from the input, resulting in a decrease in the overall output. This helps to stabilize the system and reduce any deviations from the desired output.

How does negative feedback work?

Negative feedback works by comparing the output of a system to the desired output and using that information to adjust the input. If the output deviates from the desired output, the feedback mechanism will act to reduce the deviation and bring the output back to the desired level.

What is the purpose of negative feedback?

The purpose of negative feedback is to regulate and stabilize a system. It helps to maintain a constant output, even in the presence of external disturbances or changes in the system. This allows for more accurate and consistent performance of the system.

What is open loop gain?

Open loop gain is a measure of the gain or amplification of a system without any feedback. In other words, it is the ratio of the output to the input when there is no feedback present. It is typically denoted by the symbol A.

How does open loop gain affect negative feedback?

The open loop gain is an important factor in determining the stability and effectiveness of negative feedback. A higher open loop gain means that the system is more sensitive to changes in the input, and may require more negative feedback to maintain stability. A lower open loop gain may result in an unstable system that requires less negative feedback. Finding the right balance is crucial for optimal system performance.