Negative and Positive E-Field Components

In summary, the electric field component along the displacement axis s is zero in regions (a) and (c). In region (b), the electric field is -6.25 V, indicating that it points to the left. This means that the e-field would perform negative work on a positive test charge brought in from the left, resulting in a positive change in potential. This can be visualized by imagining a region bordered by two plates, with a voltage supply creating a potential difference between the plates.
Drakkith
Mentor

Homework Statement

In the diagram below, each division on the horizontal axis (the displacement s) is 0.10 m while each division on the vertical axis (the electric potential V) is 1.0 V. What is the electric field component along the displacement axis s in each of the regions specified below? Include the sign of the value in your answer.
(a) from 0.0 m to 0.10m
(b) from 0.10m to 0.90m
(c) from 0.90m to 1.00m

voltage graph.gif

Homework Equations

ΔV=Vf-Vi = -∫E⋅ds

The Attempt at a Solution

I understand that the e-field for a and c is zero. A constant potential means that the e-field isn't changing.
My question is about b. The answer is -6.25 V, but I can't wrap my head around what this means. What's the difference between an e-field of +6.25 V and -6.25 V? Is it just the direction the e-field points compared to the direction you're moving?

Physics news on Phys.org
That's about it. The field vector should respect the coordinate system that's in place. So here the spatial component is the s-axis, increasing to the right, and the potential increases to the right, too. So the e-field vector, pointing from higher potential to lower potential, points to the left.

Alright. So then the e-field would perform negative work on a positive test charge brought in from the left, and therefor the change in potential, the negative of the work done divided by the charge, is positive, right?

Drakkith said:
Alright. So then the e-field would perform negative work on a positive test charge brought in from the left, and therefor the change in potential, the negative of the work done divided by the charge, is positive, right?
Right. I sometimes find it helpful to imagine that the region in question is bordered by two plates, like in a capacitor. The potential difference between the plates is established by a voltage supply of the appropriate size. Then I can easily picture the field lines and what a charged particle situated in or moving through the region will experience.
upload_2016-2-22_22-24-49.png

Likes Drakkith

Related to Negative and Positive E-Field Components

1. What is an electric field?

An electric field is a physical field that surrounds an electrically charged particle and exerts a force on other charged particles within its vicinity.

2. What are the two components of an electric field?

The two components of an electric field are the negative and positive components. The negative component is associated with negative charges, while the positive component is associated with positive charges.

3. How are the negative and positive components of an electric field different?

The negative and positive components of an electric field have opposite directions. The negative component points towards the negatively charged particle, while the positive component points away from the positively charged particle.

4. How do the negative and positive components of an electric field combine?

The negative and positive components of an electric field combine vectorially to determine the overall direction and strength of the electric field at a particular point. This is known as the vector sum of the electric field components.

5. Why are negative and positive components of an electric field important?

The negative and positive components of an electric field play a crucial role in understanding the behavior of charged particles and the interactions between them. They also help to explain the behavior of electric fields in various situations, such as in conductors and insulators.