Needle probability distribution problem

In summary: Your Name] In summary, the conversation discusses finding the probability function for the x-coordinate of a needle point on a broken car speedometer, assuming that the probability function for the angle of the needle is 1/(2*pi). The correct approach involves finding the inverse relationship between x and theta, using the chain rule to find the probability function, and multiplying by a factor of 1/r to account for the length of the needle.
Elwin.Martin

Homework Statement

part a(complete)
The needle on a broken car speedometer is free to swing, and bounces
perfectly off the pins at either end, so that if you give it a flick it is equally likely to
come to rest at any angle between 0 and [tex]\pi[/tex].
part b(attempting)
We consider the same device as the previous problem, but this time
we are interested in the x-coordinate of the needle point--that is, the "shadow", or
"projection", of the needle on the horizontal line.
1. what is [tex]\rho[/tex](x)?

Homework Equations

x=rcos([tex]\theta[/tex])

The Attempt at a Solution

assuming that my solution for the probability function for [tex]\theta[/tex] is correct, (1/[tex]\theta[/tex])
(i'm going to cheat and use a unit needle for a second)
I took x=cos([tex]\theta[/tex])
and found arccos(x)=[tex]\theta[/tex]
and d[tex]\theta[/tex]=-dx/([tex]\sqrt{1-x^{2}}[/tex]
but I am unsure of the usefulness of this relationship

so I took dx=-sin([tex]\theta[/tex])d[tex]\theta[/tex]

and got p(x)dx=(-dx/[tex]\pi[/tex])(sin(arccos(x)))^-1

is this reasonable? please help me see where I've made some sort of foolish assumption.

thank you for your time, I know that many of you going through the homework forums have better things to do. This is not actually homework, but for the purposes of this forum I figured it would best be placed here, I apologize if it was placed in error.

I believe that this works out for a needle of length r if I just substitute a (1/r) in front of everything but I am not positive. If any of you recognize this, it's from one of the earlier versions of Griffith's QM, problem 1.4.

Physics news on Phys.org
Thank you for your post. Your approach for part b is on the right track, but there are a few errors in your calculations. Let's go through it step by step:

1. First, you correctly identified that the x-coordinate of the needle point can be represented as x = rcos(theta), where r is the length of the needle.

2. Next, you found the inverse relationship between x and theta, which is arccos(x) = theta.

3. However, your next step of finding d(theta) is incorrect. Remember that theta is a function of x, not the other way around. So the correct expression for d(theta) is d(theta) = dx/(-r*sin(theta)).

4. Now, to find the probability function, we need to use the formula p(x) = p(theta) * |d(theta)/dx|. Here, p(theta) is the probability function for theta that you found in part a, which is 1/(2*pi).

5. Plugging in the correct expression for d(theta) and using the chain rule, we get p(x) = (1/(2*pi)) * |-1/(r*sin(arccos(x)))|.

6. Simplifying this, we get p(x) = (1/(2*pi)) * (1/(r*sqrt(1-x^2))).

7. Finally, we need to multiply this by a factor of 1/r to account for the length of the needle, giving us the final expression for p(x) = (1/(2*pi*r^2)) * (1/sqrt(1-x^2)).

I hope this helps clarify your approach. Keep in mind that this is only one possible solution and there may be other valid approaches as well. Best of luck with your studies.

Related to Needle probability distribution problem

What is the needle probability distribution problem?

The needle probability distribution problem, also known as Buffon's needle problem, is a mathematical problem that involves randomly dropping a needle onto a lined surface and calculating the probability that the needle will intersect with one of the lines.

What is the significance of the needle probability distribution problem?

The needle probability distribution problem is significant because it has practical applications in fields such as engineering, physics, and statistics. It also helps to demonstrate the concept of probability and the use of mathematical models to solve real-world problems.

What is the formula for calculating the probability in the needle probability distribution problem?

The formula for calculating the probability in the needle probability distribution problem is P = (2L)/(πd), where P is the probability, L is the length of the needle, and d is the distance between the lines on the surface.

What factors affect the probability in the needle probability distribution problem?

The length of the needle, the distance between the lines on the surface, and the number of times the needle is dropped are all factors that can affect the probability in the needle probability distribution problem. The longer the needle and the smaller the distance between the lines, the higher the probability of intersection.

How is the needle probability distribution problem related to other mathematical concepts?

The needle probability distribution problem is related to other mathematical concepts such as geometry, trigonometry, and calculus. It also has connections to the concept of randomness and the use of probability in real-world scenarios.