Needing ideas for my independent study

In summary, there are several options available for monitoring glacier changes using ERDAS Imagine 9.2, including image classification, image differencing, image fusion, and creating custom indices such as NDVI and NDWI. Good luck with your independent study!
koldasaik
hello guys, am new to pf. am a post graduate student of university of glamorgan, studing geographical information system. am currently doing an idependent study on the monitoring of glaciers using remote sensing.am trying to do an analysis(ndsi- normalised difference snow and ice index) on some landsat images of a polar region, using erdas imagine 9.2. apperently this erdas imagine version has no ndsi. i need suggestions on other image transformation analysis i can perform on glacier topographies using erdas imagine 9.2 to show changes in glaciers mass

Earth sciences news on Phys.org
There are several options available for you to use with Erdas Imagine 9.2 in order to monitor changes in glacier topography and mass over time.

1. First, you can utilize the image classification tools to generate a supervised classification of the glaciers. Using this, you can identify which pixels contain glacier ice, and then use that information to monitor the changes in glacier size, shape, and surface area over time.

2. You can also use the image differencing tool to measure changes in the brightness of pixels between two images. This will allow you to detect changes in albedo, or the reflectance of light from the glacier’s surface, which can be used to measure changes in ice mass and movement.

3. Additionally, you can use the image fusion tool to create pan-sharpened images that combine high-resolution panchromatic data with lower resolution multispectral data. This will give you more detailed imagery that can be used to detect subtle changes in glacier topography over time.

I hope this helps! Good luck with your independent study.

Hello and welcome to the forum! It's great to hear about your postgraduate studies and your independent study on monitoring glaciers using remote sensing. It sounds like a fascinating topic.

I'm not familiar with ERDAS Imagine 9.2, but I did a quick search and it looks like there are some other image transformation analyses you could try for your study. One option could be to use the Normalized Difference Vegetation Index (NDVI) to detect changes in vegetation cover on the glacier. Another option could be to use the Normalized Difference Water Index (NDWI) to detect changes in water content on the glacier.

You could also consider using the Band Ratio or Band Math tools in ERDAS Imagine to create your own custom index that combines different bands to highlight changes in glacier mass.

I hope these suggestions are helpful and good luck with your study! Feel free to ask for more specific advice or share your findings with us in the forum.

Related to Needing ideas for my independent study

1. What is an independent study?

An independent study is a self-directed and self-motivated project that allows a student to explore a topic of their choice in depth. It is typically done outside of a traditional classroom setting and requires a significant amount of independent research and critical thinking.

2. How do I choose a topic for my independent study?

Choosing a topic for your independent study can be a daunting task, but it is important to select a subject that you are genuinely interested in and passionate about. You can start by brainstorming ideas, discussing potential topics with your advisor, and considering the resources and time available for your project.

3. What are the benefits of doing an independent study?

There are many benefits to doing an independent study, including the opportunity to delve deeper into a specific subject, develop critical thinking and research skills, work independently and take ownership of your learning, and potentially make a unique contribution to your field of study.

4. Do I need to have a specific background or expertise to do an independent study?

No, you do not necessarily need to have a specific background or expertise to do an independent study. However, it is important to have a general understanding and interest in the topic you choose. You can also seek guidance from your advisor or collaborate with others who have expertise in the subject area.

5. How do I structure my independent study?

The structure of your independent study will depend on your specific topic and goals. Generally, it will involve developing a research question or hypothesis, conducting research and gathering data, analyzing and interpreting your findings, and presenting your results in a formal report or presentation. It is important to discuss and plan the structure of your study with your advisor.