Need universal Gravitation help

In summary, according to the homework statement, Gravitational force is equal to the mass of the object multiplied by the distance between the two masses.
Combine

Homework Statement

what is the magnitude of Gravitational force
for the following picture(s)
(attached to forum)

Homework Equations

Fg = G M*M/D^2

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried to do some of them I know the equation for the second one is fG = 2G M*M/D^2
and for the third one it's Fg = 6G M*M/D^2
But I have no idea where the 2 came from for the second one and the 6 from the third one!

Attachments

• Questions.png
    Questions.png
    8.5 KB · Views: 416
Physics news on Phys.org
Combine said:

Homework Statement

what is the magnitude of Gravitational force
for the following picture(s)
(attached to forum)

Homework Equations

Fg = G M*M/D^2

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried to do some of them I know the equation for the second one is fG = 2G M*M/D^2
and for the third one it's Fg = 6G M*M/D^2
But I have no idea where the 2 came from for the second one and the 6 from the third one!

A better way to write that force is F = G M1 M2 / D^2, where M1 and M2 are the two masses. Does that help?

Kinda, I still don't understand where the 2 in fG = 2G M1 * M2/D^2
or the 6 in fG = 6G M1 * M2/D^2 come from

Combine said:
Kinda, I still don't understand where the 2 in fG = 2G M1 * M2/D^2
or the 6 in fG = 6G M1 * M2/D^2 come from

In the 3rd one, what are M1 and M2?

According to my sheet, it's just simply m1 and m2, there are no mass representing them, I think you just have to write the final equation

Combine said:
According to my sheet, it's just simply m1 and m2, there are no mass representing them, I think you just have to write the final equation

attachment.php?attachmentid=37175&stc=1&d=1310606192.gif

There are two masses and a distance indicated. Call the mass on the left M1, and the mass on the right M2. What are M1 and M2 according to the figure? What is the distance?

Attachments

• Fig1.gif
    Fig1.gif
    2 KB · Views: 472
there is no mass specified it just says M1 and M2 and distance is just represented by d

Combine said:
there is no mass specified it just says M1 and M2 and distance is just represented by d

Look more closely at the diagram. I don't see the characters "M1" or "M2" in the figure. How are the masses labelled?

Never mind my teacher answered the question for me (after several rather painful hours of waiting) we just have to make the equation nothing special, Fg = 6G M1 * M2 / d
and he also explained to me what the 6 was...

I am such an idiot >.<
thanks for the help though

You just insert the numbers in the pictures into the equation. For example:

The second one - [itex]F=\frac{G2mM}{{\Delta}d^{2}}[/itex]

Which also is equal to - [itex]F=\frac{2GmM}{{\Delta}d^{2}}[/itex]

Basically, you take the number of the specific mass or [itex]{\Delta}d[/itex] and multiply it or divide it by the appropriate amount as represented by the picture.

The third one is [itex]F=\frac{G2m_{1}3m_{2}}{{\Delta}d^{2}}[/itex] and it simplifies to [itex]F=\frac{6Gm_{1}m_{2}}{{\Delta}d^{2}}[/itex]EDIT: Ah whoops, I replied to late...

Related to Need universal Gravitation help

1. What is universal gravitation?

Universal gravitation is a scientific theory proposed by Sir Isaac Newton in the 17th century that states all objects in the universe are attracted to each other by a force called gravity.

2. How does universal gravitation work?

According to the theory, every object with mass exerts a gravitational pull on every other object with mass. The strength of this pull depends on the masses of the objects and the distance between them. The larger the mass and the closer the objects are, the stronger the gravitational force.

3. What is the formula for universal gravitation?

The formula for universal gravitation is F = G * (m1 * m2)/r^2, where F is the force of gravity, G is the universal gravitational constant, m1 and m2 are the masses of the objects, and r is the distance between them.

4. How does universal gravitation relate to the motion of planets?

Universal gravitation is responsible for the motion of planets in our solar system. The gravitational pull of the sun keeps the planets in orbit around it, while the gravitational pull of the planets keeps their moons in orbit around them.

5. What are some real-life applications of universal gravitation?

Universal gravitation has many practical applications in our daily lives. For example, it is used in the design and construction of buildings and bridges to ensure they can withstand the force of gravity. It is also used in the study of tides and ocean currents, as well as in the development of space technology and satellite systems.