Need trustworthy, informative reading material

In summary, the person is looking for informative books on fundamental molecular physics, fundamental molecular interactions, electricity, and magnetism. They find most beginner textbooks too simple and vocabulary-based and want a text that explains the mechanisms in detail. They are interested in online ordering and may need calculus or quantum mechanics knowledge. Suggestions include Griffith's Introduction to Electrodynamics for those with calculus knowledge and learning calculus first before delving into electromagnetism. There may not be a beginner text for molecular physics without prior knowledge of quantum mechanics.
Petyarazor
I need some informative books for a beginner. However, I find most beginner textbooks too simple, vague and incomprehensive. I find it annoying that many texts are extremely vocabulary based, and fail to inform the reader of HOW particular physics mechanisms work. Instead, these texts vaguely explain only WHAT these mechanisms do. I am interested in all of the details, particularly in the HOW.

These are the subjects I am interested in.

Fundamental molecular physics
Fundamental molecular interactions
Electricity and magnetism

Any advice would be much appreciated! Would be great if these books could be ordered online!Thanks!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
How beginner? Do you know calculus? If so, Griffith's Introduction to electrodynamics is a good introductory text for electricity and magnetism.

If you don't know calculus, there are many excellent texts and online resources for learning calculus, that I'm sure others can direct you to, I don't have a particular favourite beginner text. (There is really no point trying to learn electromagnetism without calculus).

ETA: As for molecular physics, I've never seen a text for it that doesn't already assume quantum mechanics. Do you know quantum mechanics?

Last edited:

Related to Need trustworthy, informative reading material

What sources can I trust for informative reading material?

When looking for trustworthy reading material, it is important to consider the credibility of the source. Look for sources that are written by experts in the field and have been peer-reviewed or published in reputable journals or books. Government agencies, universities, and well-known news outlets are also reliable sources for information.

How can I determine if the reading material is accurate?

To determine the accuracy of reading material, it is important to cross-reference information with multiple sources. Look for consistent information and make sure the sources are reliable. Additionally, be wary of any biased or sensationalized information that may be trying to manipulate your perspective.

What are some red flags to watch out for when reading material?

Some red flags to watch out for when reading material include sensationalized headlines, no citations or references, and biased language. It is also important to be cautious of information that goes against well-established scientific facts or has been debunked by experts in the field.

How can I ensure that the reading material is up-to-date?

To ensure that the reading material is up-to-date, pay attention to the publication date and when the information was last updated. Look for recent studies or statistics and be cautious of sources that have not been updated in a long time. It is also helpful to cross-reference with other sources to see if the information is still relevant and accurate.

Is it important to fact-check reading material?

Yes, it is important to fact-check reading material. With the rise of misinformation and fake news, it is crucial to verify the information we are consuming. Fact-checking involves researching the source, cross-referencing information, and critically evaluating the credibility of the information. This helps to ensure that the reading material we are using is accurate and trustworthy.