Need to find force on a charge due to an electric field strenght, pls help

In summary, the conversation is about finding the electric field strength vector (E) from an electric potential field (V), and then using it to calculate the force on a charge at a specific point (P). The person is stuck and needs help on what to do next. They mention that the equation F=qE applies to any type of electric field.
martinpeim16
i have a problem asking about a Electric potential field(V), form which i have to find the electric field strength vector(E).

E=-(grad)V

After i did this, it asks me to find the force on a charge at a point P.

i know F=qE but this is when i have a E field due to a another charge on space, but here i have a vector field.

I need help on knowing what i can do next coz I am stuck here.

Thanks in advance

Engineering news on Phys.org
martinpeim16 said:
i know F=qE but this is when i have a E field due to a another charge on space, but here i have a vector field.
That equation is true no matter what E is due to.
Is this a homework problem?

Related to Need to find force on a charge due to an electric field strenght, pls help

1. How is the force on a charge due to an electric field strength calculated?

The force on a charge due to an electric field strength is calculated using the formula F = qE, where F is the force in Newtons, q is the charge in Coulombs, and E is the electric field strength in Newtons per Coulomb.

2. What is the difference between electric field strength and electric field intensity?

Electric field strength and electric field intensity are often used interchangeably, but there is a subtle difference between the two. Electric field strength refers to the force exerted on a unit charge placed in an electric field, while electric field intensity refers to the strength of the electric field at a particular point in space.

3. How does the direction of the electric field affect the force on a charge?

The direction of the electric field determines the direction of the force on a charge. The force will always be in the same direction as the electric field at that point. For example, if the electric field is directed to the left, the force on a positive charge will also be directed to the left.

4. Can the force on a charge in an electric field be negative?

Yes, the force on a charge in an electric field can be negative. This can happen if the charge is negative and the direction of the electric field is opposite to the direction of the force. It is important to note that the magnitude of the force will still be positive.

5. How does the distance between the charge and the source of the electric field affect the force?

The force on a charge due to an electric field is inversely proportional to the square of the distance between the charge and the source of the electric field. This means that as the distance increases, the force decreases. This relationship is known as the inverse-square law.