Need to find an old variable capacitor

In summary, the individual needed help finding old radio components for building a radio circuit and eventually found them online. The conversation then shifted to discussing the use of variable capacitors and the suggestion to learn about varicap technology. It was also mentioned that searching for vintage radios or spare parts could be helpful in finding components. Ultimately, the person was able to solve their problem and expressed gratitude to those who offered assistance.
sophiecentaur said:
Someone may well post another more modern method but I'd bet the equipment would cost you a bit!
Yep. This is how we do it in our lab. Use the bias voltage feature of the old HP 4194, and be sure to calibrate it beforehand if you want to be measuring small capacitance values...

http://www.geocities.jp/etm_llc/pub/Z_report/pic2/4194A_16047D.jpg
4194A_16047D.jpg

Attachments

• 4194A_16047D.jpg
    4194A_16047D.jpg
    57.1 KB · Views: 805
Likes michael1978 and sophiecentaur
Engineering news on Phys.org
Ha ha. Like I said - it would cost a bit. hp equipment is nice stuff. It always used to impress me that different pieces of hp kit would actually agree with each other. I always reckoned that there was some sub-ether comms between all hp instruments so that they could all get their stories to agree.
For home measurement, the best that most of us can hope for is a socket on a DMM for component measurement. Near enough for Jazz mainly.

@michael1978 I notice that you are double posting about this varicap measurement question. The Mods may complain about that. Best to keep things together or people can miss the conversation.
Also I think we are getting a bit astray from the original question. Your friendly man in the electronics shop was really not helping you when he suggested using a diode instead of an air spaced variable C. They are used for entirely different purposes.
You want to make an old fashioned AM receiver then make one. It is probably within your capabilities but trying to re-design the tuning stage to include a different technology is certainly not going to work for you. You need a result out of this and not just frustration. I know. I have been in the same position.

sophiecentaur said:
Ha ha. Like I said - it would cost a bit. hp equipment is nice stuff.
Well if you or the OP ever make it across the Pond and visit Silicon Valley, ping me and you'll get a tour of the HW Lab and you can measure anything you want with our equipment. :smile:

Likes michael1978
berkeman said:
Well if you or the OP ever make it across the Pond and visit Silicon Valley, ping me and you'll get a tour of the HW Lab and you can measure anything you want with our equipment. :smile:
That would be nice. I will be visiting my son in Queens (NY) this year some time but it's still a bit of a way to go to California. I will need to present a convincing case to my dear lady wife.

Likes berkeman
sophiecentaur said:
@michael1978 I notice that you are double posting about this varicap measurement question. The Mods may complain about that. Best to keep things together or people can miss the conversation.
Also I think we are getting a bit astray from the original question. Your friendly man in the electronics shop was really not helping you when he suggested using a diode instead of an air spaced variable C. They are used for entirely different purposes.
You want to make an old fashioned AM receiver then make one. It is probably within your capabilities but trying to re-design the tuning stage to include a different technology is certainly not going to work for you. You need a result out of this and not just frustration. I know. I have been in the same position.
I don't know what to think about him, he look very good man

berkeman said:
i think he cost to much of not?

Likes sophiecentaur
michael1978 said:
I don't know what to think about him, he look very good man
He may be a good man but he runs a shop and wants to sell things. :wink:
Also, he may not be used to teaching. Rule number one about helping people is not to present them with an ever widening field of knowledge when it's not necessary. You now have extra worry about the details of varactor diodes, You do not need this worry - you need an old fashioned air-spaced mechanical capacitor.:smile: They are available from various sources and you just need to keep looking on the 'fringe market'. The actual value and range may not be very important and you do not need exactly the same capacitor as the one on the diagram you are using. Take some time with your search. Good luck.

sophiecentaur said:
He may be a good man but he runs a shop and wants to sell things. :wink:
Also, he may not be used to teaching. Rule number one about helping people is not to present them with an ever widening field of knowledge when it's not necessary. You now have extra worry about the details of varactor diodes, You do not need this worry - you need an old fashioned air-spaced mechanical capacitor.:smile: They are available from various sources and you just need to keep looking on the 'fringe market'. The actual value and range may not be very important and you do not need exactly the same capacitor as the one on the diagram you are using. Take some time with your search. Good luck.
hey man he told me that they are not in use al long, and he don't know where to find it, now only varicap they use in place van variable capacitor

michael1978 said:
hey man he told me that they are not in use al long, and he don't know where to find it, now only varicap they use in place van variable capacitor
He's right when he says they are not in commercial use and he couldn't sell you one but he was wrong to say they cannot be obtained. He did not recognise your need to live a bit of history.
If you want to build a modern receiver then that would be possible, with Integrated circuits and semiconductor tuning capacitors but they are complex and you would not be getting the 'full experience'. Also, if it didn't work first time, you may not be able to sort out the problem. A very simple receiver could be much more practical for you to make - once you have located all the right components. I think we are all rooting for you about this!

sophiecentaur said:
He's right when he says they are not in commercial use and he couldn't sell you one but he was wrong to say they cannot be obtained. He did not recognise your need to live a bit of history.
If you want to build a modern receiver then that would be possible, with Integrated circuits and semiconductor tuning capacitors but they are complex and you would not be getting the 'full experience'. Also, if it didn't work first time, you may not be able to sort out the problem. A very simple receiver could be much more practical for you to make - once you have located all the right components. I think we are all rooting for you about this!
thank you man i think i solved