Need to drop part of dual major (how employable is EE)?

In summary: I would recommend doing some research on the types of jobs that are in demand in your field, and then targeting those types of jobs. Good luck!
maxsthekat
Hi guys,

I'm looking at potentially dropping my computer engineering degree from my dual degree plan (EE is my other degree). I would still maintain an emphasis in computer engineering for my degree, but do you think by doing this I will be harming my chances to be employable after graduation?

Here's why I'm thinking of doing this: I'm 26 (did the military experience right out of high school), and if I stay with the dual degree, it will take until the end of 2012 (with full loads each semester) in order to graduate. If I drop to EE, I only have 49 hours until I graduate. It would be nice to have a degree so that I can get back to career building, but I don't want to doom my chances by dropping one of the degrees.

So, for all of you budding EEs or CompEs, what do you think? And, for the EEs, have you found the job market to be particularly difficult?

thanks!

-Max

Physics news on Phys.org
What I want to know is why you majored in CompE and EE at the same time.. the two majors are almost the same with a difference of only a small amount of classes.

I work in the bioengineering field, and am not an electrical engineer - but the ones I have seen come through my department do very well. They are in demand in bioengineering anyway - even if it isn't always directly EE type projects, the skills you learn in any engineering degree are useful. Engineers are only a slight step away from physicists in general employability - you will have a great skill set of problem solving, practical skills and programming - not to forget the 'mundane' things that graduate employers really do need like report writing, summarising and expressing data.

I don't think you'll lose anything in employability by not taking a double major. What it comes down to is which of the two subjects you prefer: EE or CompE - presumably it is EE. The difficult thing when it comes to looking for work is finding the job that you want, and getting that one.

Related to Need to drop part of dual major (how employable is EE)?

What is a dual major?

A dual major is when a student chooses to pursue two different academic majors simultaneously, usually in related fields. For example, a student might choose to major in both electrical engineering and computer science.

Why would someone want to drop part of their dual major?

Students may want to drop part of their dual major for a variety of reasons. Some may find that they are more interested in one of the majors and want to focus on it exclusively. Others may find that the workload is too difficult to manage or that they are struggling to keep up with both majors.

What is the employability of someone with a dual major in electrical engineering?

Someone with a dual major in electrical engineering is highly employable. Electrical engineering is a highly sought-after field, and having a dual major in a related field, such as computer science, can make a candidate even more desirable to potential employers. This dual major shows a diverse skill set and a strong understanding of both fields.

What types of jobs can someone with a dual major in electrical engineering pursue?

There are many job opportunities available for someone with a dual major in electrical engineering. Some common job titles include electrical engineer, computer engineer, software developer, systems engineer, and telecommunications engineer. Additionally, this dual major can open up opportunities in various industries, such as aerospace, telecommunications, and renewable energy.

Is it worth dropping part of my dual major in electrical engineering?

The answer to this question depends on individual circumstances. If you are struggling to keep up with both majors or have found that you are more interested in one field over the other, it may be worth dropping part of your dual major. However, if you are able to manage the workload and are interested in both fields, keeping the dual major may provide more job opportunities and a well-rounded education. It is important to carefully consider your goals and priorities before making a decision.