Need to discuss about quantum concepts

In summary, the person is asking about the suitability of Rayleigh-Schrodinger theory for analyzing perturbation effects on an ion and the fate of a photon after being emitted from an electron in an atom. The answer suggests that the use of time-dependent perturbation theory may be needed for a passing electromagnetic wave and that absorption is not the only option for the photon, as it can also undergo stimulated emission or scattering interactions. The specific properties of the emitted photon will depend on the type of emission that occurs.
pattisahusiwa
Hi all.

I'll starting a little research for my college assignment. But I need to discuss a few concepts in Quantum Mechanics [sorry for my english].

1. I want to analyze perturbation effect that suffered by an ion. Is Rayleigh-Schrodinger theory suitable for this problem? if not, which suitable theory for it?

2. If an electromagnetic wave is passed to a atom, it will be absorbed by an electron and then emitted a photon when back to old level energy. So, where will the photon go (if a chain reaction is not exist)? is will merge with the electromagnetic wave or?

Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
pattisahusiwa said:
1. I want to analyze perturbation effect that suffered by an ion. Is Rayleigh-Schrodinger theory suitable for this problem? if not, which suitable theory for it?

That depends on what is causing the perturbation. If the perturbation Hamiltonian is static, then Rayleigh-Schrödinger (more commonly called time-independent perturbation theory these days) is the correct tool. If the perturbation is a function of time—as a passing electromagnetic wave is—then you need time-dependent perturbation theory. If you want to examine the effect of interactions with photons, then you need quantum electrodynamics.

If an electromagnetic wave is passed to a atom, it will be absorbed by an electron and then emitted a photon when back to old level energy. So, where will the photon go (if a chain reaction is not exist)? is will merge with the electromagnetic wave or?

Absorption is not the only option, you can also have stimulated emission. If you're treating the EM radiation quantum mechanically (i.e. as a photon) then you can also get a variety of scattering interactions like Compton scattering. If stimulated emission occurs, the photon will be of the same phase, wavelength, polarization and direction as the stimulated photon (which obviously puts constraints on the energy required by a photon to induce emission). On the other hand, spontaneous emission (that follows absorption) is much less restricted and can produce photons very different than the one that was absorbed. I'm not really sure what you mean by "merge with the electromagnetic wave". The photon will propagate away from the atom.

Related to Need to discuss about quantum concepts

1. What is quantum mechanics?

Quantum mechanics is a branch of physics that studies the behavior of particles at the atomic and subatomic level. It explains how particles such as electrons and photons behave and interact with each other.

2. How does quantum mechanics differ from classical mechanics?

Quantum mechanics differs from classical mechanics in that it describes the behavior of particles as probabilities rather than definite states. It also takes into account phenomena such as superposition and entanglement, which have no classical analog.

3. What is the uncertainty principle in quantum mechanics?

The uncertainty principle is a fundamental principle in quantum mechanics that states that it is impossible to simultaneously know the exact position and momentum of a particle. This is due to the wave-like nature of particles at the quantum level.

4. What is quantum entanglement?

Quantum entanglement is a phenomenon in which two or more particles become connected in such a way that the state of one particle is dependent on the state of the other, even if they are separated by large distances. This has been demonstrated through various experiments and is a key concept in quantum information and computing.

5. How is quantum mechanics applied in technology?

Quantum mechanics is applied in a variety of technologies such as transistors, lasers, and MRI machines. It is also the basis for emerging technologies such as quantum computing and quantum cryptography, which have the potential to greatly impact fields such as data encryption and drug development.