Welcome to our community

Be a part of something great, join today!

need to brush up my math skills

payam

Jul 29, 2012
Hi every one

i am new and im very happy i found this forum....

i got my master degree in engineering few years ago and now i want to continue my education at Phd level (maybe in Mathematical Economics) but i have forgotten most of mathematics i had learned at the time.

i have a trouble finding a book(s) or any other way to brush up my Mathematics skills for Phd level, but i don't know where and how to start.

it's kinda discouraging....

oh sorry,i posted this on wrong thread, and i dont know how to delet it

any help what can i do, any good book(s) that i can brush up my Math skills as quick as possible? or in a decent time?

Thank you!!!!

Last edited:

Jameson

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 26, 2012
Re: need to brush up my MATH skills

Hi payam, :)

Welcome to MHB! We're glad to have you.

You got a Master's in engineering? Wow. That's way higher than my degree, so I won't attempt to give you any advice. One question that comes to mind though is what kind of math are you trying to brush up on? That will probably help others recommend you a text more quickly.

Anyway, if you have any questions about the forums please don't hesitate to message a staff member and I hope you continue to use our forums as you brush up on your math skills :)

Don't worry about where you posted the thread. We actually don't have a forum that is specifically designated for this kind of question so I've moved it to introductions for the time being.

Jameson

payam

Jul 29, 2012
Thank you for replying!

i am thinking to continue my education in "Mathematical Economics" or "Economic system Modeling"....

i appreciate your help!

Hi payam, :)

Welcome to MHB! We're glad to have you.

You got a Master's in engineering? Wow. That's way higher than my degree, so I won't attempt to give you any advice. One question that comes to mind though is what kind of math are you trying to brush up on? That will probably help others recommend you a text more quickly.

Anyway, if you have any questions about the forums please don't hesitate to message a staff member and I hope you continue to use our forums as you brush up on your math skills :)

Don't worry about where you posted the thread. We actually don't have a forum that is specifically designated for this kind of question so I've moved it to introductions for the time being.

Jameson
Sorry i forgot to mention one of my field study that i am very very interested is "Mathematical Modeling" in general,....

to be honest,my Math has never been so good and it was and is to be a good Mathematician(a very old dream, since i know myself), but i never reached it, i dont know what is wrong, no matter how hard i try im not so good at Math (i suffered a lot because of this),
any idea how can i reach my dream? good books?etc?

thank you again!!!!

Last edited by a moderator:

Jameson

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 26, 2012
I'd check back here tomorrow sometime and hopefully someone else chimes in with a good suggestion for you. We have members from all over the world so depending on who wakes up when response times can vary (as well as with the topic).

Sudharaka

MHB Math Helper
Feb 5, 2012
Thank you for replying!

i am thinking to continue my education in "Mathematical Economics" or "Economic system Modeling"....

i appreciate your help!

Sorry i forgot to mention one of my field study that i am very very interested is "Mathematical Modeling" in general,....

to be honest,my Math has never been so good and it was and is to be a good Mathematician(a very old dream, since i know myself), but i never reached it, i dont know what is wrong, no matter how hard i try im not so good at Math (i suffered a lot because of this),

thank you again!!!!
Hi payam, (Wave)

Welcome to Math Help Boards. :)

I remember doing a mathematical modelling course sometime back and the book that we were recommended was, "Mathematical Models by Richard Haberman". I haven't read it entirely, however it seems to have a simplistic approach.

Kind Regards,
Sudharaka.

CaptainBlack

Jan 26, 2012
Thank you for replying!

i appreciate your help!

thank you again!!!!
I think most of the background maths you will need for mathematical modelling is to be found in "Advanced Engineering Mathematics" by Erwin Kreysig (does not need to be the current edition, almost any edition will do).

CB