Need surface area of N-Ellipsoid.

In summary, the conversation is discussing the surface area of an N-dimensional ellipsoid and how to find it using a linear substitution. The participants share their methods and formulas, with one person mentioning that the surface area can be expressed in terms of incomplete elliptic integrals. The conversation concludes with someone asking for clarification on how the formula was derived.
tohauz
Hi guys.
What is surface area of N dimensional ellipsoid?
Any help is really appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!

Hi tohauz! Welcome to PF! :smile:

Hint: use a linear substitution to turn the integral into the surface area of an N-sphere :wink:

tiny-tim said:
Hi tohauz! Welcome to PF! :smile:

Hint: use a linear substitution to turn the integral into the surface area of an N-sphere :wink:

I tried. But I'm getting something which is not easily integrable

Show us. :smile:

tiny-tim said:
Suppose that ellipsoid has axis a_{1},...,a_{N}.
Then S=[tex]\int_{{\sum\frac{x^{2}_{i}}{a^{2}_{i}}<1}[/tex]dS(x)-surface integral.
Then i solved for x_{N}=a_{N}([tex]\sqrt{1-(\frac{x_{1}}{a_{1}})^{2}-...-(\frac{x_{N-1}}{a_{N-1}})^{2}}[/tex]) and used that formula for evaluating the surface area, where you need evaluate N-1 dimensional volume integra (Found the partial derivatives of x_{N} w/r to x_{i} and etc). IN that integral i made a substitution , i.e. linear transformation x_{i}=y_{i}a_{i}, i=1,...N-1. I got:

Integral over {B(0,1)} of[tex] {\sqrt{1+((\frac{a_{N}}{a_{1}})^{2}-1)y^{2}_{1}+...+((\frac{a_{N}}{a_{N-1}})^{2}-1)y^{2}_{N-1}}} [/tex]*Jac(Transformation), where B(0,1) is n-1 unit ball.
I think i made a mistake, but i can't find it. Thanks and by the way, what is the good textbook to brush up on these things

tiny-tim said:

Actually, I used same idea to find the volume and I got it:
it is a_{1}*...a_{N}*meas(unit ball)

Hi tohauz! :smile:

(use the X2 tag just above the Reply box … a1

and the plural of "axis" is "axes" :wink:)
tohauz said:
Actually, I used same idea to find the volume and I got it:
it is a_{1}*...a_{N}*meas(unit ball)

That's right! :smile:

And you can do the same thing for surface area …

a1*...aN*surfacearea(unit ball) :wink:

tiny-tim said:
Hi tohauz! :smile:

(use the X2 tag just above the Reply box … a1

and the plural of "axis" is "axes" :wink:)

That's right! :smile:

And you can do the same thing for surface area …

a1*...aN*surfacearea(unit ball) :wink:

That doesn't make a sense. Because, if a_{i}=r for all i's, we don't get the surface area ball with radiuis r.

tohauz said:
That doesn't make a sense. Because, if a_{i}=r for all i's, we don't get the surface area ball with radiuis r.

oops! :redface:

should have been (a1*...aN)(N-1)/N*surfacearea(unit ball) :blushing:

tiny-tim said:

OK. Where is my mistake? Thanks
i'm having trouble with finding it

Last edited:
I don't think you should expect to get something easily integrable for the surface area of an N-ellipsoid. In general the surface area of just a regular 2-ellipsoid is expressible in terms of incomplete elliptic integrals. Similarly, I don't think the 'circumference' of an ellipse has a nice expression in terms of elementary functions, either. (There are some closed-form special cases)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ellipsoid#Surface_area

Mute said:
I don't think you should expect to get something easily integrable for the surface area of an N-ellipsoid. In general the surface area of just a regular 2-ellipsoid is expressible in terms of incomplete elliptic integrals. Similarly, I don't think the 'circumference' of an ellipse has a nice expression in terms of elementary functions, either. (There are some closed-form special cases)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ellipsoid#Surface_area

I see what you are saying, but at least did I set it up correctly?

tiny-tim said:

Could you please tell me how you got it?

tohauz said:
Could you please tell me how you got it?

Sorry :redface:, my formula seems to be wrong …

I thought it would just be a matter of changing the coordinates, and multiplying by the appropriate factors, but Mute's :smile: link makes it clear that that doesn't work, and that the surface area, even for N = 3, is a complicated formula using "elliptic integrals".

Related to Need surface area of N-Ellipsoid.

1. How is the surface area of a N-Ellipsoid calculated?

The surface area of a N-Ellipsoid is calculated using the following formula: S = 4π(a^p)(b^q)(c^r)Γ((p+1)/2)Γ((q+1)/2)Γ((r+1)/2)/Γ((p+q+r+3)/2) where a, b, and c are the semi-axes of the ellipsoid, and p, q, and r are the positive integers that determine the shape of the ellipsoid.

2. What is the difference between surface area and volume of a N-Ellipsoid?

The surface area of a N-Ellipsoid refers to the total area of the outer surface of the ellipsoid, while the volume refers to the amount of space enclosed by the ellipsoid. The surface area and volume are calculated using different formulas.

3. Why is it important to calculate the surface area of a N-Ellipsoid?

Calculating the surface area of a N-Ellipsoid is important in various fields such as engineering, physics, and geology. It helps in understanding the shape and size of objects, determining the strength and stability of structures, and analyzing the physical properties of materials.

4. Can the surface area of a N-Ellipsoid be approximated?

Yes, the surface area of a N-Ellipsoid can be approximated using different methods such as numerical integration, Monte Carlo simulations, or using the Gauss-Legendre quadrature formula. However, the accuracy of the approximation depends on the complexity of the ellipsoid's shape and the chosen method.

5. How is the surface area of a N-Ellipsoid used in real-world applications?

The surface area of a N-Ellipsoid is used in various real-world applications such as satellite communication, geodesy, and cartography. In satellite communication, the surface area is used to determine the amount of radiation that can be transmitted or received by the satellite. In geodesy and cartography, it is used to create accurate maps and models of the Earth's surface.