Need someone with some good CAS

• B
  • Thread starter MigMRF
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Cas
In summary, the conversation discusses the use of flight formulas to model a rocket and the need to calculate the speed at which the mass is expelled. The solution is found in an article, but the equation cannot be solved using a CAS (computer algebra system). The plan is to use a numerical approach instead. The conversation also includes a correction to an equation from the article.
MigMRF
Trying to figure out how to model a rocket, and I got some pretty decent flight formulas. The only thing i need is to calculate how fast the masse is expelled. Found an article: (https://www.researchgate.net/publication/253753714_Analysis_of_a_water-propelled_rocket_A_problem_in_honors_physics) which seems to have the solution which is:
1576610132969.png

So i tried to solve for p, but my CAS isn't strong enough to solve it. Is there anyone who got an idea of how to solve it.

BTW
If someone manage to solve it, the plan is to but the function inside:
1576610292171.png

Which gives me the exhaust velocity of the water rocket.

Physics news on Phys.org
What is CAS?

Google:

1576618264016.png

CAS = computer algebra system. E.g., Mathematica.

To answer OP, that equation looks pretty transcendental to me. Meaning that there's likely no closed form expression for p. You'd probably be better off tackling it numerically.

• Informative
Likes berkeman
The equation posted by OP and printed in the cited AJP article is incorrect. One can see that immediately because (a) the argument of the arctangents is not dimensionless and (b) the time is negative because ##p_0>p>p_a##. The correct equation (that still cannot be solved) is$$t=\frac{p_0 V_0}{p_a A_e} \sqrt{\frac{\rho _w}{2}}\left[ \sqrt{ \frac{p_0-p_a}{p_0}}-\sqrt{ \frac{p-p_a}{p}} + \frac{1}{\sqrt{p_a}}\left( \tan ^{-1}\sqrt{\frac{p_0-p_a}{p_a}}-\tan ^{-1}\sqrt{\frac{p-p_a}{p_a}}\right)\right]$$
I got this by solving equation (7) in the reference. It seems that its author dropped the negative sign and coded the radicals incorrectly.

Likes TeethWhitener

Related to Need someone with some good CAS

1. What is CAS and why do I need someone with good CAS?

CAS stands for "Computer Algebra System" and it is a type of software that allows for symbolic mathematical computations. Having someone with good CAS skills means they are proficient in using this software to solve complex mathematical problems efficiently.

2. What are some examples of tasks that require someone with good CAS?

Tasks that require someone with good CAS include solving differential equations, simplifying algebraic expressions, and performing numerical computations with high precision.

3. Can anyone learn how to use CAS or is it a specialized skill?

While anyone can learn how to use CAS, it does require a certain level of mathematical knowledge and understanding. It may take some time and practice to become proficient in using CAS effectively.

4. Are there different types of CAS and which one is the best?

Yes, there are various CAS software available, such as Mathematica, Maple, and Matlab. Each has its own strengths and weaknesses, so the best one for a particular task may vary. It is important to choose the one that best suits your needs and preferences.

5. How can I find someone with good CAS skills?

You can find someone with good CAS skills by searching for professionals or experts in the field of mathematics or engineering. You can also reach out to universities or research institutions that use CAS extensively, as their students or faculty may have the necessary skills.