Need some key words to look up equipment

• Thread starter rompecabeza
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Equipment
In summary: CI_u09n98cYCFUdufgodJRkOjwIn summary, the OP needs a current source which can be turned off after a set amount of time. Test Equipment Depot has a low cost option available.
rompecabeza
Hi all, we need to find a current source which automatically disables current after, say, 30 s. Does anyone know any specific names for that? My supervisor said he saw some but never returned my emails with the same question. That's project 'management' in academia for me.

Engineering news on Phys.org
rompecabeza said:
Hi all, we need to find a current source which automatically disables current after, say, 30 s. Does anyone know any specific names for that? My supervisor said he saw some but never returned my emails with the same question. That's project 'management' in academia for me.

Welcome to the PF.

How much current? Can you just use a computer to control a standard current source?

Ok, that's a start. Thanks. I will look for computer-controlled sources with ~3 A of output.

Baluncore said:
memristor.

WITW is that thing? The wikipedia page just confused me... o0)

Baluncore said:
Technically speaking you need a memristor.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Memristor

As far as I know they are not commercially available and are still deep in research mode.

I think the OP needs a standard current source. That way he or she can control it using a trivial Labview program. Easy peasy.

Here is a very low cost option. The current control requires a 10 V logic pulse to turn it to 3A or off.

http://www.testequipmentdepot.com/i...tm?ref=gbase&gclid=CI_u09n98cYCFUdufgodJRkOjw

Likes berkeman
berkeman said:
Can that power supply be put into constant current mode? It sounds like the OP is looking for a current source instead of a voltage source. :smile:

I had a quick look at the manual and it can be put into constant current mode. It seems really easy to use. Just a control voltage to set the current.

Likes berkeman

Related to Need some key words to look up equipment

1. What type of equipment is needed for a laboratory?

The type of equipment needed for a laboratory will depend on the specific research or experiments being conducted. Some common types of equipment include microscopes, centrifuges, spectrophotometers, and pipettes.

2. Where can I find information on specific laboratory equipment?

You can find information on specific laboratory equipment by consulting scientific journals, manufacturer websites, or talking to experienced scientists in your field.

3. How do I choose the right equipment for my research?

Choosing the right equipment for your research will require careful consideration of your experimental needs, budget constraints, and the reliability and accuracy of different equipment options.

4. Can I rent or borrow laboratory equipment instead of purchasing it?

Yes, there are companies that offer equipment rental services for laboratory equipment. Additionally, some universities or research institutions may have equipment sharing programs in place.

5. Is there any specialized training required to use laboratory equipment?

Yes, some laboratory equipment may require specialized training in order to use it safely and effectively. It is important to receive proper training and follow all safety protocols when using any laboratory equipment.