Help for Painful Cramp: What to Do?

• Thread starter ahrkron
  • Start date
In summary, a person experienced a cramp while playing soccer and went to the ER. The cramp turned out to be a muscle tear and the person will be re-evaluated on Thursday by an orthopedicist. They will be unable to play soccer for at least three weeks due to the injury.
ahrkron
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Help! Painful cramp.

I was playing soccer today, and five minutes after kick-off I had to leave the game due to a strong cramp (or so I thought) in my calf; this is quite unusual: I've played twice a week for about four years without a single cramp). The problem is, it has been five hours since that, and I still feel a lot of pain when trying to walk. I haven't had a cramp in a very long time, but this does not feel right.

I will appreciate any advice about what to do, or what to expect. Should I go to the doctor? put it on ice? keep it warm? move it? immobilize it? relax it? keep it tense? take some pain killers? I have heard every option.

Physics news on Phys.org
To prevent cramps, do you stretch before and after you workout? have you tried applying ben gay ointment? if it still hurts five hours after then it sounds to me like it's arthritis, I could be wrong. I'd have it check as soon as possible.

You may have pulled a muscle.

Did it start when you made a sudden move?

I usually only get cramps if I extend my foot as if I were trying to stand on tiptoes. That may be just me though...

The cramp is an involuntary contraction of a muscle, if it was a particular rough one you might've damaged it a little, pulled it as enigma said. The thing to do is to apply heat to a tense/tight muscle, or cold to a sore/tender muscle. Try and give it some rest so it can recouperate. Make sure you are not dehydrated or are low on electrolytes/minerals, that can cause muscle cramps. I've heard bananas are a good source of the required minerals :)

The_Professional said:
if it still hurts five hours after then it sounds to me like it's arthritis, I could be wrong.
Arthritis is the chronic inflammation of joints, so not related to muscle cramps.

i have also heard that leg cramps are a sign of low calcium intake.

I recommend hobbling around and swearing a lot.

Actually my friend was advised to increase the amount of salt in his diet, he used to get cramp every time he did anything physically exerting, and now its just occasionally.

Thanks everybody,

The pain had not stopped in the morning, so I went to the ER. It seems I partially tore a calf muscle (the "gastrocnemius"). They say I don't need surgery though. I'll be re-evaluated on Thursday by an orthopedicist. For now, I'm working from home and walking on crutches. :frown:

The worst part is, no soccer for at least three weeks! :cry:

well, i guess for the next three weeks you could play a form of indoor soccer (we do it at my school when it rains) where feet are not used, instead hands. It is really quite amusing. (of course the balls are soft)

ahrkron said:

Ah that is definitely the worst part! I haven't played since high school and I miss it dearly! :frown:

jimmy p said:
I recommend hobbling around and swearing a lot.

Actually my friend was advised to increase the amount of salt in his diet, he used to get cramp every time he did anything physically exerting, and now its just occasionally.
i don't believe salt would decrease the chance since well i have more salt in my diet per week than most people have in a lifetime, and cramps still occured, but i have heard about a lack of calcium, and my calfs did hurt for a day or two

Certain foods (such as grapes) make cramps worse, or more likely. Sodium and Calcium are important in nerve functions, so defficiency of either of them can cause problems, but nobody is likely to be at all sodium deficient in western society.

i_wish_i_was_smart said:
i don't believe salt would decrease the chance since well i have more salt in my diet per week than most people have in a lifetime, and cramps still occured, but i have heard about a lack of calcium, and my calfs did hurt for a day or two
Minerals and electrolytes important for proper muscle contraction and relaxation are calcium, magnesium, potassium and sodium. If you miss one of those, or you are not hydrated enough, it might be causing problems.

So a question from me: if you overexerted (sp?) the anckle bands so that they are swollen, is it still wise to keep excercising? I guess iron rusts tight, so keeping the tendons supple might aid the healing?

ahrkron said:

Click Me

Try some Qi Gong if you know how to emit Qi... Otherwise try some Taichi. I dun get cramps after doing Taichi because its a good overall stretch.

1. What causes painful cramps?

Painful cramps are caused by muscle contractions that occur involuntarily. These contractions can be triggered by a variety of factors, including dehydration, electrolyte imbalances, muscle fatigue, and hormonal changes.

2. How can I prevent painful cramps?

To prevent painful cramps, it is important to stay hydrated and maintain a balanced diet with adequate amounts of electrolytes. Regular stretching and exercise can also help prevent cramps by improving muscle strength and flexibility.

3. What should I do when I experience a painful cramp?

If you experience a painful cramp, the first thing you should do is try to gently stretch and massage the affected muscle. Applying heat or ice to the area may also provide relief. If the cramp persists or becomes severe, seek medical attention.

4. Are there any medications that can help with painful cramps?

Over-the-counter pain relievers such as ibuprofen or acetaminophen may provide temporary relief for painful cramps. However, it is important to consult with a doctor before taking any medication, as they may interact with other medications or have potential side effects.

5. When should I be concerned about my painful cramps?

If you experience frequent or severe cramps, it is important to consult with a doctor to determine the underlying cause. In some cases, cramps may be a symptom of an underlying medical condition such as nerve damage or mineral deficiencies.