Need some help with this homework -- Conducting Spheres and Charge

In summary, the conversation discusses two problems related to electromagnetism. The first problem involves finding the electric potential inside a copper sphere with a spherical bubble inside, while the second problem is about explaining a monochromatic plane wave and its properties. The student also shares their attempt at solving the first problem.
Rene Manzano
Poster has been reminded by the Mentors that they need to use the HH Template and show their work
Hi, I need some help with this homework from my Electromagnetism course. I hope this is the correct place to post this. (Please excuse any potential english mistake I made trying to translate this).

Problem 1:
Copper (conductor) sphere of radious R with an spheric bubble inside placed at distance c from the center, with radius b. The metalic sphere has charge Q.

1.-Find the electric potential inside the bubble
2.-Is the result modified if the bubble is not a sphere?

Problem 2:

1.-Explain what a monochromatic plane wave is, identify the dirction of propagation, the velocity of propagation, wave length and polarization.

2.- In the case of plane electromagnetic waves, probe E and B fields are perpendicular between each other. and perpendicular to the direction of propagation.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Let's try problem #1 - what have your tried so far?

I will try to use this math symbols the best I can (first time using them on a post :) ). I might be wrong, but what I think is that I should have the charge Q distributed in both surfaces so I have the denisty of charge ρ= Q/ (4πR^2+4πb^2). Then I can use Gauss and have the electric field inside the bubble? ρ / ∈0. After that I'm completley lost.

Related to Need some help with this homework -- Conducting Spheres and Charge

1. What are conducting spheres and charge?

Conducting spheres are spherical objects made of a conductive material, such as metal, that allow for the flow of electric charge. Charge refers to the property of matter that causes it to experience a force when placed in an electric field.

2. How are conducting spheres and charge related?

Conducting spheres and charge are related because the flow of charge can occur on the surface of a conducting sphere due to its ability to conduct electricity. This allows for the creation of electric fields and the movement of charge within the sphere.

3. What is the significance of conducting spheres and charge in physics?

Conducting spheres and charge are significant in physics because they allow for the study of electric fields and the behavior of electric charge. They also have practical applications in technology, such as in the creation of capacitors and electrical circuits.

4. How do conducting spheres and charge interact with each other?

Conducting spheres and charge interact with each other through the creation of electric fields. When a conducting sphere is charged, it creates an electric field that affects other charges in its vicinity. This interaction can result in the movement of charge between spheres or the repulsion/attraction of charges.

5. Can you give an example of the use of conducting spheres and charge?

One example of the use of conducting spheres and charge is in electrostatic generators, which use a rotating conducting sphere to create a charge imbalance and generate high voltages. Another example is in the construction of Van de Graaff generators, which use a large conducting sphere to store and transfer high voltages.