How Do You Solve Complex Electrical Circuit Problems?

• Thread starter Pepsi24chevy
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Review
In summary, to avoid the extra fee the factory must install a capacitor between the power line and the factory. The resonant frequency of the circuit is kHz, the rms current is A, the power factor is 1, and the amplitude of the voltage across the inductor at resonance is kV.
Pepsi24chevy
They go as followed:
1. A 30.0 mH inductor is connected to a standard electrical outlet (Vrms = 120 V; f = 60.0 Hz). Determine the energy stored in the inductor at t = (1/170) s, assuming that this energy is zero at t = 0.

2. What is the maximum current in a 5.00 µF capacitor when it is connected across a North American electrical outlet having Vrms = 120 V, f = 60.0 Hz?
mA
(b) What is the maximum current when it is connected across a European electrical outlet having Vrms = 240 V and f = 50.0 Hz?
mA

3. A sinusoidal voltage V(t) = (40.0 V) sin(100t) is applied to a series RLC circuit with L = 150 mH, C = 99.0 µF, and R = 83.0 .
(a) What is the impedance of the circuit?

(b) What is the maximum current?
A
(c) Determine the numerical values for Imax, , and in the equation i(t) = Imax sin( t - ).Imax = A
= rad/s
= °

4. Suppose you manage a factory that uses many electric motors. The motors create a large inductive load to the electric power line, as well as a resistive load. The electric company builds an extra-heavy distribution line to supply you with a component of current that is 90° out of phase with the voltage, as well as with current in phase with the voltage. The electric company charges you an extra fee for "reactive volt-amps" in addition to the amount you pay for the energy you use. You can avoid the extra fee by installing a capacitor between the power line and your factory. The following problem models this solution.
In an LR circuit, a 120 V (rms), 60.0 Hz source is in series with a 20.0 mH inductor and a 16.0 resistor.

(a) What is the rms current?
A
(b) What is the power factor?

(c) What capacitor must be added in series to make the power factor 1?
µF
(d) To what value can the supply voltage be reduced if the power supplied is to be the same as before the capacitor was installed?
V

5. series RLC circuit has components with following values. L = 20.0 mH, C = 100 nF, R = 10.0 , and Vmax = 100 V, with V = Vmax sin t. Find the following quantities.
(a) the resonant frequency
kHz
(b) the amplitude of the current at the resonant frequency
A
(c) the Q of the circuit

(d) the amplitude of the voltage across the inductor at resonance
kV

6. The RC low-pass filter shown in Figure 33.26 has a resistance R = 90.0 and a capacitance C = 8.00 nF. Calculate the ratio (Vout/Vin) for the following input frequencies.

Figure 33.26 http://www.webassign.net/pse/33-23.gif

(a) 680 Hz

(b) 680 kHz

7.An 80.0 resistor, a 170 mH inductor, and a 0.130 µF capacitor are connected in parallel across a 120 V (rms) source operating at 374 rad/s.
(a) What is the resonant frequency of the circuit?
Hz
(b) Calculate the rms current in the resistor, the inductor, and the capacitor.
IR = A
IL = A
IC = mA
(c) What rms current is delivered by the source?
A
(d) Is the current leading or lagging behind the voltage? By what angle?
°

ANy help in setting these up would be greatly appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=4825

well for 1, i gto Vmax =sqrt2 *120. Then i used I max = (Vmax/wL) a then i substitued into i(t) = imaxsin wt then i did Ul= 1/2Li^2 and i got .005 but i am pretty sure this isn't correct.

for 2 i did Xc= 1/(5e-6*60*2pi) then i did 120/530 and got .226 but I don't believe that is correct.

for 3 i figured most of it out.
a) What is the impedance of the circuit?
(b) What is the maximum current?
A.336
(c) Determine the numerical values for Imax, , and in the equation i(t) = Imax sin( t - ).Imax =
I got theto to equal -46. I got imax to be 33.96 because i did .336* each one of the resistance and took the highest value but it says that part is wrong.

for 4, I tried to follow the steps i did in 3 and i used1/w^2L to find the capacitance and then divided the amps i found by sqrt(2) but it didnt' work out as i got 4.8 for my answer which seems too high.

well i have to get to class, but this is what work i have for these problems, i have some more work on the other ones, but i dont' have time to ttype it. My fault earlier for not posting what work i have.

Related to How Do You Solve Complex Electrical Circuit Problems?

What types of review problems should I include in my study session?

When setting up review problems, it is important to include a variety of question types to fully test your understanding of the material. This can include multiple choice, true/false, short answer, and problem-solving questions.

How many review problems should I complete?

The number of review problems you should complete will depend on your level of understanding and the complexity of the material. It is important to work through enough problems to feel confident in your understanding, but not too many that it becomes overwhelming.

Where can I find practice problems to use for review?

There are several resources available for finding practice problems, such as textbooks, online study guides, and educational websites. You can also create your own review problems based on the material you have studied.

Should I study with a group or on my own for review problems?

This will depend on your personal preference and learning style. Some people may benefit from studying with a group to discuss and compare answers, while others may prefer to work through problems on their own. It may be beneficial to try both methods and see which works best for you.

How often should I review problems for a particular topic?

It is recommended to review problems for a particular topic regularly, especially if it is a complex or difficult concept. This will help reinforce your understanding and identify any areas that may need further review. It is also beneficial to review problems for older topics periodically to ensure retention of the material.