Need some guidance through a dynamics problem.

In summary: I was really getting frustrated with this one.In summary, a 50kg sprinter set the record for the 100m dash at normal altitudes with a time of 10.97 seconds. Assuming uniform acceleration for the first 12.0m and then constant velocity to the finish line, the sprinter's maximum velocity was 10.21 m/s. The average horizontal force exerted by the sprinter's feet during acceleration was not given.
vvvether

Homework Statement

A 50kg sprinter ran a 100m dash in 10.97s. This sprinter set the record for the 100m dash at normal altitudes. Assume that she accelerated uniformly for the first 12.0m and then traveled at a constant velocity to the finish line.

Homework Equations

a) What is the sprinter's maximum velocity
b) What average horizontal force did the sprinter's feet exert on the ground while accelerating?

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't really know where to start tackling this problem.

EDIT: Problem solved. I only really had trouble with finding the terminal velocity. The second part wasn't too hard.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I like to see this shown as a velocity~time graph. In the first section the velocity increases uniformely up to v in t secs. In the second section the velocity remains at v for a time of (10.97-t) secs.
The total distance (100m) is made up of the 2 distances in section 1 and section 2.
Can you see how to get an equation to get v?
(I got 10.21 m/s)

truesearch said:
I like to see this shown as a velocity~time graph. In the first section the velocity increases uniformely up to v in t secs. In the second section the velocity remains at v for a time of (10.97-t) secs.
The total distance (100m) is made up of the 2 distances in section 1 and section 2.
Can you see how to get an equation to get v?
(I got 10.21 m/s)

I don't, unfortunately... I've tried the problem for quite some time now. Could you maybe go into more detail?

Take the first section...constant acceleration from 0 to v m/s. so the average velocity for this part is v/2. If we say it takes t seconds then the distance traveled = t x v/2.
And we know this distance is 12m so (vt)/2 = 12 or vt = 24
For the second part the velocity (v) is constant and the time taken is (10.97-t) and the distance is (100-12) =88m.
Can you have a go at writing the equation for the second part then use the vt = 24 to solve it?

truesearch said:
Take the first section...constant acceleration from 0 to v m/s. so the average velocity for this part is v/2. If we say it takes t seconds then the distance traveled = t x v/2.
And we know this distance is 12m so (vt)/2 = 12 or vt = 24
For the second part the velocity (v) is constant and the time taken is (10.97-t) and the distance is (100-12) =88m.
Can you have a go at writing the equation for the second part then use the vt = 24 to solve it?

Okay, the second equation is v2 = 88/(10.97 - t1), which I had no trouble getting to. The fact that you helped make the first equation made it click for me.

I might as well solve the problem here, if other people need it.

Since vt = 24, we can isolate for v. Which means v = 24/t. Then we take the second equation, v = 88/(10.97 - t), and sub v = 24/t in place of v.

So 24/t = 88/(10.97 - t). Then I solve for t, which I do by cross multiplying:

24(10.97 - t) = 88t
261.28 - 24t = 88t
261.28 = 88t + 24t
261.28 = 112t
t = 2.35

Sub in t into the either equation to get the terminal velocity.

v = 24/t
v = 24/2.35
v = 10.21 m/s

EDIT: Thanks a lot by the way.

Related to Need some guidance through a dynamics problem.

1. What are the key concepts to understand in a dynamics problem?

The key concepts in a dynamics problem are forces, acceleration, and mass. Forces are any interactions that cause an object to move or change its motion. Acceleration is the rate of change of an object's velocity. Mass is the measure of an object's resistance to changes in its motion.

2. How do I approach solving a dynamics problem?

First, identify all the known and unknown variables in the problem. Then, draw a free body diagram to visualize the forces acting on the object. Next, use Newton's laws of motion to set up equations and solve for the unknown variables. Make sure to pay attention to units and use appropriate equations for the given scenario.

3. What are some common mistakes to avoid in dynamics problems?

One common mistake is forgetting to include all the forces acting on the object. Make sure to consider all external and internal forces. Another mistake is using the wrong equation or formula for the given scenario. It's also important to pay attention to units and use consistent units throughout the problem.

4. How do I check my answer in a dynamics problem?

One way to check your answer is by using the concept of conservation of energy. In a closed system, the total energy should remain constant. Another way is to plug your answer back into the original equations and see if they balance out. Additionally, double-checking your calculations and units can also help identify any errors.

5. What are some real-world applications of dynamics?

Dynamics is used in many fields, including engineering, physics, and biomechanics. It is essential for understanding the motion of objects in various systems, such as vehicles, machines, and structures. It is also used in sports and athletics to analyze and improve movements. Additionally, dynamics plays a crucial role in space exploration and understanding the motion of celestial bodies.