Need some checking on these Multiple choice questions

In summary: The Attempt at a Solution In summary, the dipoles were ranked from highest potential energy to lowest. B>E>A=C.
catch22

Homework Statement

upload_2015-10-26_16-38-11.png

upload_2015-10-26_16-39-21.png

upload_2015-10-26_16-40-27.png

upload_2015-10-26_16-44-11.png

upload_2015-10-26_16-50-7.png

For #5, I added option E, it's the same as B, but the charges are switched around.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]

1) Even though A and B look similar, B seems more accurate. The arrows in the corner of A don't seem to point directly to the corner.

2) plugging in values for x and y, answer should be B

3) D, the electric field is independent of the test charge.

4) Most unsure with this one, but I think the answer is C because the bounds looks correct there.

5) So I added option E, but option B is my answer.
If I were to rank the dipoles from highest potential energy: B > E > A > C > D.

Physics news on Phys.org
catch22 said:
1) Even though A and B look similar, B seems more accurate. The arrows in the corner of A don't seem to point directly to the corner.

2) plugging in values for x and y, answer should be B

3) D, the electric field is independent of the test charge.
Correct.
catch22 said:
4) Most unsure with this one, but I think the answer is C because the bounds looks correct there.
Right, as long as the integrand doesn't include a shift (e. g. (x-d)2 in the denominator).
catch22 said:
5) So I added option E, but option B is my answer.
If I were to rank the dipoles from highest potential energy: B > E > A > C > D.
How did you get that order? In particular, where is the difference between A and C, or D and E?

mfb said:
Correct.
Right, as long as the integrand doesn't include a shift (e. g. (x-d)2 in the denominator).
How did you get that order? In particular, where is the difference between A and C, or D and E?
I look at how far the negative charge is from the positive plate, as the distance increases, the potential increases. The same for positive charge from negative plate. Is the order wrong?

catch22 said:
I look at how far the negative charge is from the positive plate, as the distance increases, the potential increases. The same for positive charge from negative plate.
How do you combine the two different things then?
catch22 said:
Is the order wrong?
It is.

mfb said:
How do you combine the two different things then?
It is.
can you specify what two different things?

I look at how far the negative charge is from the positive plate, as the distance increases, the potential increases.
One.
The same for positive charge from negative plate.
Two

mfb said:
One.
Two
I don't know if my reasoning is correct, but for this case, that is what I used.
For example, look at B and E, the midpoints of each dipole is at the same height from the positive plate but B's negative charge is higher than the negative charge of E.

Again, I don't know the answer, I don't even know if my reasoning is right.

I think of the positive plate as the floor, and the negative charge is a baseball. If the baseball is higher up in the air, the potential energy is higher. If the baseball is on the floor, PE is 0.

Last edited:
Ok, after doing more reading on dipoles.

the order should be B>D> A=C

and E probably is between B and D? I'm not sure.

A=C is right.
Why D>A?

catch22 said:
I don't know if my reasoning is correct, but for this case, that is what I used.
Your explanation is missing something, so I don't know where the error is.
"I compare two persons by body height and by weight, and then rank them on a single scale" - how do you combine the two measurements to a single ranking system?

Related to Need some checking on these Multiple choice questions

What is the purpose of "Need some checking on these Multiple choice questions"?

The purpose of "Need some checking on these Multiple choice questions" is to ensure the accuracy and validity of the multiple choice questions. This process involves checking for any errors or inconsistencies in the questions, as well as evaluating the level of difficulty and clarity of the questions.

What are some common errors or inconsistencies that need to be checked in multiple choice questions?

Some common errors or inconsistencies that need to be checked in multiple choice questions include incorrect answer choices, ambiguous or confusing wording, and incorrect grammar or spelling.

How can the level of difficulty of multiple choice questions be evaluated?

The level of difficulty of multiple choice questions can be evaluated by considering the complexity of the concepts being tested, the number of distractors (incorrect answer choices), and the overall length and structure of the question.

Why is it important to have clear and accurate multiple choice questions?

It is important to have clear and accurate multiple choice questions because they are often used as a form of assessment in various educational settings. Inaccurate or confusing questions can lead to incorrect evaluation of a student's knowledge and can also affect the overall fairness and validity of the assessment.

What are some strategies for creating effective multiple choice questions?

Some strategies for creating effective multiple choice questions include avoiding wordy or complex questions, using a variety of question formats (e.g. fill-in-the-blank, true/false), and ensuring that all answer choices are plausible and relevant to the question.