Need reliable resources on basic astronomy and quantum physics

In summary, this person does not understand the basics of mathematics and physics enough to do any kind of research. They are looking for reliable sources.
CrackerMcGinger
I've been relying on Wikipedia and some other questionable sources for a basic understanding of these studies, and i don't think I should rely fully on these sources. If anyone can point me to a place that is reliable I would greatly appreciate it.

Astronomy news on Phys.org
CrackerMcGinger said:
I've been relying on Wikipedia and some other questionable sources for a basic understanding of these studies, and i don't think I should rely fully on these sources. If anyone can point me to a place that is reliable I would greatly appreciate it.
What is your starting point? What is one's background/experience in mathematics and physics?

The basics would be algebra and mechanics (statics and dynamics), and eventually one needs calculus.

Since I'm a freshman in high school, I'm pretty much looking for the basic theories and I'd sort out the equations later once I advance in mathematics.

Also, I'm looking for reliable sites. I can go to the library anytime I want to but I have to pay late fees. So I'm just looking for sites right now until I get enough money to pay my late fees.

CrackerMcGinger said:
Since I'm a freshman in high school, I'm pretty much looking for the basic theories and I'd sort out the equations later once I advance in mathematics.
The theories are mathematics. You'll never understand (or even come up) with any theory without the mathematics.
A long text about whatever is not a theory. Theories have to predict measurements, which means they have to provide a way to calculate the results of experiments.

mfb said:
The theories are mathematics. You'll never understand (or even come up) with any theory without the mathematics.
A long text about whatever is not a theory. Theories have to predict measurements, which means they have to provide a way to calculate the results of experiments.

The way I advance in understanding is this, once I learn the theory, I go to learn the complex math behind it, once I do that, I can figure out a theory with a similar basis to such mathematics, kinda like my alternate space time theory. Just to be clear, my alternate space time theory has nothing to do with another universe. But I'm getting off track. The thing is, I just need sources to understand theories I come across. I'm already talking to my sister about helping me with calculus and advanced mathematics, I will take some time, but meanwhile, I want sources so I can continue my research on multiple areas of physics. Does that even make sense?

CrackerMcGinger said:
I want sources so I can continue my research on multiple areas of physics.
Textbooks, see above.

CrackerMcGinger said:
The way I advance in understanding is this, once I learn the theory, I go to learn the complex math behind it, once I do that, I can figure out a theory with a similar basis to such mathematics, kinda like my alternate space time theory. Just to be clear, my alternate space time theory has nothing to do with another universe. But I'm getting off track. The thing is, I just need sources to understand theories I come across. I'm already talking to my sister about helping me with calculus and advanced mathematics, I will take some time, but meanwhile, I want sources so I can continue my research on multiple areas of physics. Does that even make sense?

Look man if you haven't learned high school calculus (among other things) yet it's impossible to do any research. It's kind of like trying to write an english poem without knowing any english.

HomogenousCow said:
Look man if you haven't learned high school calculus (among other things) yet it's impossible to do any research. It's kind of like trying to write an english poem without knowing any english.
That is not entirely true. True, I will not understand the advanced equations but I do understand the concepts. What I do with the parts I don't understand is file them into a category and work towards a point in which I understand it. All I need are theories not completely composed of equations. But I completely agree with what you're saying. I have just found a way to adapt until I get to that point.

If you're not understanding the advanced equations then you're not understanding the concepts. Sorry.

I stuck a fork in it, this thread is done.

Related to Need reliable resources on basic astronomy and quantum physics

1. What are some reliable resources for learning about basic astronomy?

Some reliable resources for learning about basic astronomy include books such as "Astronomy: A Beginner's Guide to the Universe" by Eric Chaisson and Steve McMillan, online courses from reputable universities like "Introduction to Astronomy" from Duke University, and websites like NASA's "Astronomy Picture of the Day" and "Space.com".

2. How can I ensure that the resources I find for quantum physics are reliable?

To ensure the reliability of resources on quantum physics, it is important to look for information from reputable sources such as academic journals, textbooks written by experts in the field, and online courses from accredited institutions. It is also helpful to read reviews and check the credentials of the authors or creators of the resources.

3. Are there any online forums or communities for discussing astronomy and quantum physics?

Yes, there are several online forums and communities where people discuss topics related to astronomy and quantum physics. Some popular options include Reddit's r/AskScience and r/Physics forums, Quora's "Astronomy" and "Quantum Physics" topics, and the forums on websites like Physics Forums and Astronomy.com.

4. Can I find reliable resources for astronomy and quantum physics on social media?

While social media can be a helpful source of information, it is important to verify the reliability of the sources before using them for learning about astronomy and quantum physics. Some reputable accounts on social media include NASA, National Geographic, and accounts of universities and science organizations such as Harvard University and the American Physical Society.

5. Are there any podcasts or YouTube channels that cover basic astronomy and quantum physics?

Yes, there are many podcasts and YouTube channels that cover basic astronomy and quantum physics. Some popular options include "Astronomy Cast" podcast, "PBS Space Time" YouTube channel, and "The Quantum World" podcast. However, it is important to check the credentials of the creators and verify the accuracy of the information presented before relying on it as a reliable resource.