Need quick help with Univ. Physics I problem

• Thread starter Sanonuke22
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Physics
In summary, the conversation revolves around a physics final and a missing lab that is required to pass. The lab problems involve a 30 degree ramp with a frictional coefficient and a spring, and the goal is to calculate the distance needed to launch a projectile at a specific velocity. The conversation also touches on the percentage of energy lost due to friction and whether it is worth taking into account. The participants also discuss a potential increase in frictional losses in a different scenario.
Sanonuke22
So I took my physics final this morning, only to find out that I have a missing lab somehow, that happens to be required to pass. I took a look at the problems, and as embarrassed as I am to say it, I do not have any idea of how to work the problem. Problem is, I have to have it in by tomorrow morning. Any help would be appreciated!Lab Problems:

1. Given a 30 degree ramp with a frictional coefficient = 0.10 and a spring with k = 1000N/m
that pushes a 100 gram projectile up the ramp, how long of a distance must the spring be
compressed to launch the 100 gram projectile at a 100m/s velocity? Assume that the ramp is
just long enough for the spring to fully release its compressed energy at the end of the ramp.

2. What percentage of the energy was lost due to friction? In your opinion was it worth taking
it into account? Why or why not?

3. What if we had the same spring/ramp system but increased the frictional coefficient to 1.0,
and dropped the launch velocity to 20m/s? What would be the increase in frictional losses as
a percentage of total energy in the system?

What I've tried so far:

(1/2)kx^2 = sin(30)mgx + "mew"mgx + (1/2)mv^2

then used the quadratic formula to get x = 1.0006 or -0.9994

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Sanonuke22 said:
What I've tried so far:

(1/2)kx^2 = sin(30)mgx + "mew"mgx + (1/2)mv^2

then used the quadratic formula to get x = 1.0006 or -0.9994

That term "mew"mgx for the work against friction is not correct. What is the force of friction on a slope? Your equation would be correct otherwise.

You find Greek letters to the right under "Quick Symbols", just click on them. "mew" is μ.

ehild

Hey, thanks for the help. (1/2)kx^2 = sin(30)mgx + μmgcos(30) + (1/2)mv^2

How does this look?

Sanonuke22 said:
Hey, thanks for the help. (1/2)kx^2 = sin(30)mgx + μmgcos(30) + (1/2)mv^2

How does this look?

Much better - perfect! :smile:

ehild

Here's what I got if anyone wants to do it as well so I can compare:

a) 1.000545 m

b) 0.017% - No ; E lost due to friction is negligible in this case

c) x = 2.047 m ; 0.04%

Well, there is a mistake in the equation, (I did not notice previously): you left out the x in the friction term. (1/2)kx^2 = sin(30)mgx + μmgcos(30)x + (1/2)mv^2.

ehild

Last edited:
ehild said:
That term "mew"mgx for the work against friction is not correct. What is the force of friction on a slope? Your equation would be correct otherwise.

You find Greek letters to the right under "Quick Symbols", just click on them. "mew" is μ.

ehild

Sorry, ehild, just couldn't resist. :biggrin:

Attachments

• mu.jpg
    mu.jpg
    20.3 KB · Views: 385
It is soooo cute!

But it is not a Hungarian cat. The cats say "mew" but μ does not sound like "mew" here:biggrin:

ehild

Last edited:
ehild said:
It is soooo cute!

But it is not a Hungarian cat. The cats say "mew" but μ does not sound "mew" here:biggrin:

ehild

Don't know about Hungary cats. But in Singapore, the only cats that go "mew" are Hungry Cats. :-p

OK, back to the serious part of the thread. Sorry, OP.

Related to Need quick help with Univ. Physics I problem

1. What is the best way to approach a difficult physics problem?

The best way to approach a difficult physics problem is to break it down into smaller, more manageable parts. Start by identifying the given information and what you are trying to solve for. Then, use any relevant equations and principles to solve each part of the problem. Finally, check your answer and make sure it makes sense in the context of the problem.

2. How can I improve my understanding of physics concepts?

One way to improve your understanding of physics concepts is to practice solving problems. The more problems you solve, the more familiar you will become with the concepts and equations. It is also helpful to seek out additional resources such as textbooks, online tutorials, or study groups to supplement your learning.

3. What should I do if I am stuck on a physics problem?

If you are stuck on a physics problem, take a step back and review the given information and what you are trying to solve for. Double check that you are using the correct equations and principles. If you are still struggling, try approaching the problem from a different angle or seeking help from a classmate or instructor.

4. How can I prepare for a physics exam?

To prepare for a physics exam, make sure you have a thorough understanding of the key concepts and equations covered in class. Review your notes, practice solving problems, and utilize any review materials provided by your instructor. It can also be helpful to create a study schedule and allocate enough time for each topic.

5. What are some common mistakes to avoid in physics problem-solving?

Some common mistakes to avoid in physics problem-solving include mixing up variables, using the wrong equations, and forgetting units. It is important to carefully read and understand the given information and make sure you are using the correct formulas and units. It is also helpful to double check your calculations and answers to avoid simple errors.