Need Physics help with launching from angle w/ initial velocity

In summary, the problem involves shooting a steel ball from a launcher at an angle of 45° with an initial velocity of 3.3 m/s. The task is to determine how far from the launcher the ball will hit the floor. Using the standard constant acceleration equations in the x and y directions, the solution involves finding the time the ball stays in the air and using this to calculate the distance in the x and y directions. The final step is to use the fact that the ball lands when y = 0.
astru025

Homework Statement

You now place the launcher on the floor and shoot a steel ball at an angle of 45°. If you had previously measured an initial velocity of 3.3 m/s for this launcher, then how far from the launcher do you expect the ball to hit the floor?

Homework Equations

I can't find any equations for this problem.

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried using 45-45-90 angle method to figure out something but nothing has seemed to work. Any help/tips would be appreciated!,

Physics news on Phys.org
hi astru025! :wink:

use the standard constant acceleration equations in the x and y directions …

show us what you get :smile:

Okay so I have X=3.3cos(45)t
This gets me to X=2.33t ... What do I do from hear?

How long does the steel ball stay in the air after launch?

hi astru025! :smile:

(just got up :zzz:)
astru025 said:
Okay so I have X=3.3cos(45)t
This gets me to X=2.33t ... What do I do from hear?

now do the same thing for the y direction,

then use the fact that it lands when y = 0 :wink:

Related to Need Physics help with launching from angle w/ initial velocity

1. How do I calculate the initial velocity for launching an object at an angle?

To calculate the initial velocity, you will need to know the angle at which the object is being launched and the distance it needs to travel. Use the formula V = d/t, where V represents velocity, d represents distance, and t represents time. You can also use the trigonometric functions sine, cosine, and tangent to calculate the components of the initial velocity in the x and y directions.

2. What factors affect the trajectory of a launched object?

The trajectory of a launched object is affected by several factors, including the initial velocity, the angle of launch, the air resistance, and the force of gravity. These factors can be manipulated to achieve different trajectories, such as a higher or lower arc or a longer or shorter distance traveled.

3. How does the angle of launch affect the distance traveled?

The angle of launch has a significant impact on the distance traveled by a launched object. At a 45-degree angle, the object will travel the farthest distance due to the combination of the x and y components of the initial velocity being equal. As the angle decreases or increases from 45 degrees, the distance traveled will also decrease.

4. What is the relationship between the initial velocity and the maximum height reached by a launched object?

The initial velocity and the maximum height reached by a launched object have an inverse relationship. As the initial velocity increases, the maximum height will also increase. This is because a higher initial velocity means the object will spend more time in the air, allowing it to reach a greater height before falling back down.

5. How can I calculate the time of flight for a launched object?

To calculate the time of flight, you can use the formula t = 2Vy/g, where t represents time, Vy represents the initial velocity in the y direction, and g represents the acceleration due to gravity. Alternatively, you can use the quadratic formula to solve for time if you have the initial velocity and angle of launch.