Need lamen explanation of ionic vs. covalent bonds

In summary, the speaker is new to science and having trouble understanding the difference between ionic and covalent bonds. They are specifically struggling with understanding the net charge that creates an ion, the nature of ionic bonds, and the sharing of atoms in a covalent bond. They are seeking help and advice from knowledgeable individuals and are encouraged to consult multiple sources for a better understanding.
julia*
Hi I am new on here and also new to science. I am in College getting my Biology 12 and Chemistry 11. I am having a really hard time understanding the difference between the ionic and the covalent bond. I am having trouble understanding:
a) the net charge that creates an ion
b)the ionic bond in general
c) the sharing of atoms in a covalent bond. what determines when two atoms will share electrons!

Thanks to all you lovely smart science people out their one day I hope I will be too! If you could do your best to answer this as simply as possible I would be so grateful!

Physics news on Phys.org
Try to read about bonds in some other book than the one you already know, check wikipedia, check http://antoine.frostburg.edu/chem/senese/101/index.shtml. The more sources you will try, the higher the chance one will click with you. These are very basic concepts, it is hard to help you not knowing what the real problem is.

Related to Need lamen explanation of ionic vs. covalent bonds

What is the difference between ionic and covalent bonds?

Ionic bonds involve the transfer of electrons between atoms, resulting in ions with opposite charges. Covalent bonds involve the sharing of electrons between atoms.

Which type of bond is stronger, ionic or covalent?

Covalent bonds are typically stronger than ionic bonds because the shared electrons create a stronger attraction between the atoms.

How do you determine if a bond is ionic or covalent?

The difference in electronegativity between the atoms involved in the bond can determine if it is ionic (large difference) or covalent (small difference).

What are some examples of ionic and covalent compounds?

Some examples of ionic compounds include sodium chloride (table salt) and calcium carbonate (chalk). Examples of covalent compounds include water and carbon dioxide.

Can ionic and covalent bonds exist together in a compound?

Yes, compounds can have both ionic and covalent bonds. For example, in ammonium chloride, there is an ionic bond between ammonium (NH4+) and chloride (Cl-) ions, but there are also covalent bonds within the ammonium ion itself.