Need information about pursuing Ph.D in USA

In summary: Ph.D in another country...The physics GRE is a two-hour exam that is scored out of 1600. It is valid for five years from the date of your score. You don't need any extra preparation other than your M.Sc. subjects. You can find more information on the ETS website. Good luck!
shantan007
hi
i am doing my M.Sc. Physics... i am interested in pursuing my Ph.D in Physics in USA... wht more tests do i need to take other than GRE and Toefl... i heard abt physics gre recently but know nothing abt it... please tell me abt the test and is it really necessary for pursuing a Ph.D

thank you

Physics news on Phys.org
shantan007 said:
hi
i am doing my M.Sc. Physics... i am interested in pursuing my Ph.D in Physics in USA... wht more tests do i need to take other than GRE and Toefl... i heard abt physics gre recently but know nothing abt it... please tell me abt the test and is it really necessary for pursuing a Ph.D

thank you

Well I'm a first year PhD student, and the GRE is the only test I had to take (I'm a native English speaker, so no TOEFL). You can check out the GRE for yourself by going to the ETS website. Just Google "GRE ETS" and find the page for the physics GRE. They have a practice physics GRE that you can download as a PDF.

shantan007 said:
hi

thank you

That is rather strange. How are you able to know about the GRE General test but not heard of the GRE Subject test?

Please go the GRE website. All the info you need to know about the subject test are there.

Is it really necessary? Depends on the school. Most schools will want such scores especially from international students and especially if they're not familiar with the institution that granted your degree.

Zz.

Thanx for ur comments

thank u for ur reply ...
could sum1 please tell me for how much score is the physics gre for... and do i need any extra preparation other than my M.Sc. subjects for doing well in the exam...

i also have another doubt...
for how many years is the physics gre score valid...

Related to Need information about pursuing Ph.D in USA

1. What are the requirements for pursuing a Ph.D in the USA?

In general, the requirements for pursuing a Ph.D in the USA include a bachelor's degree from an accredited university, a high GPA, strong letters of recommendation, a competitive GRE score, and a well-written personal statement outlining your research interests and goals. Additionally, international students may also need to provide proof of English proficiency through tests such as TOEFL or IELTS.

2. How long does it take to complete a Ph.D program in the USA?

The duration of a Ph.D program in the USA can vary depending on the field of study and individual progress. On average, it takes 4-6 years to complete a Ph.D, with some programs extending up to 8 years. However, some universities offer accelerated programs or allow students to transfer credits, which can shorten the duration of the program.

3. What is the cost of pursuing a Ph.D in the USA?

The cost of pursuing a Ph.D in the USA can vary greatly depending on the university, location, and field of study. On average, international students can expect to pay between $20,000 to $50,000 per year for tuition and living expenses. However, many universities offer funding opportunities such as scholarships, teaching or research assistantships, and fellowships to help cover the cost of tuition.

4. Can I work while pursuing a Ph.D in the USA?

International students on an F-1 visa are allowed to work on-campus for a maximum of 20 hours per week while school is in session and full-time during breaks and holidays. Some universities also offer opportunities for students to work as teaching or research assistants, which can help cover living expenses. However, it is important to check with your university's international student office for any specific restrictions or guidelines.

5. What are the job prospects after completing a Ph.D in the USA?

The job prospects after completing a Ph.D in the USA can vary depending on the field of study and individual qualifications. Generally, graduates with a Ph.D have a high demand for research and teaching positions in universities, as well as opportunities in government agencies, private companies, and non-profit organizations. However, it is important to conduct thorough research and network during your Ph.D program to increase your chances of securing a job after graduation.