Need help writing a pure math formula

In summary, the conversation is about someone struggling to write a math formula for their website plugin. The formula involves calculating the square inch of a specific shape, and then applying a different coefficient depending on the range of the square inch. The person has already written the formula in excel but needs a pure math formula for their website plugin. They are informed that writing it mathematically won't help and are asked for the language of their website plugin.
mcreech
Hello,
I am really struggling to write a math formula that I need for my website plugin.

A=(Length) B=(Width) C=(Square Inch)
A*B=C
0<=C<=16 then C*.84
17<=C<=34 then C*.70
35<=C<=65 then C*.56
66<=C<=99 then C*.42
100<=C<=150 then C*.35
151<=C<=500 then C*.31

I wrote this formula in excel, but I need a pure math formula. Here is the excel formula…G2 represents sq in. =IF(G2<=16,G20.84,IF(G2<=34,G20.7,IF(G2<=65,G20.56,IF(G2<=99,G20.42,IF(G2<=150,G20.35,IF(G2<=200,G20.31))))))Any help would be much appreciated, Thanks!

Technology news on Phys.org
mcreech said:
Hello,
I am really struggling to write a math formula that I need for my website plugin.

A=(Length) B=(Width) C=(Square Inch)
A*B=C
0<=C<=16 then C*.84
17<=C<=34 then C*.70
35<=C<=65 then C*.56
66<=C<=99 then C*.42
100<=C<=150 then C*.35
151<=C<=500 then C*.31

I wrote this formula in excel, but I need a pure math formula. Here is the excel formula…G2 represents sq in. =IF(G2<=16,G20.84,IF(G2<=34,G20.7,IF(G2<=65,G20.56,IF(G2<=99,G20.42,IF(G2<=150,G20.35,IF(G2<=200,G20.31))))))Any help would be much appreciated, Thanks!

Hi mcreech! Welcome to MHB! (Smile)

What you have there, is a piece wise function.
Writing it mathematically won't help to get it into a website plugin.
What is the language of your website plugin?

Related to Need help writing a pure math formula

1. What is a pure math formula?

A pure math formula is a mathematical expression that is written using symbols, numbers, and variables to represent relationships and operations in mathematics. It is often used to solve problems and make calculations in various fields of science, engineering, and economics.

2. How do I write a pure math formula?

To write a pure math formula, you need to follow certain rules and conventions. Start by identifying the variables, constants, and operations that are involved in the problem. Then, use appropriate symbols and notation to represent them in the formula. It is also important to use proper grouping symbols, such as parentheses, to indicate the order of operations.

3. Can I use any symbols in a pure math formula?

No, it is important to use standard symbols and notation in a pure math formula. This helps to ensure that the formula is clear and can be easily understood by others. It is also important to use symbols that are commonly used in the specific field of mathematics that you are working in.

4. What are some common mistakes to avoid when writing a pure math formula?

Some common mistakes to avoid when writing a pure math formula include using incorrect notation or symbols, forgetting to use proper grouping symbols, and not following the correct order of operations. It is also important to double-check your formula for any errors or typos before using it in calculations.

5. How can I check if my pure math formula is correct?

To check if your pure math formula is correct, you can use it to solve a known problem or compare it with a similar formula that is proven to be correct. You can also use computer software or online tools to verify the accuracy of your formula. It is always a good idea to have someone else review your formula as well to catch any potential errors.