Need help writing a joke equation

• Thread starter 1MileCrash
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Writing
In summary, there is a common misconception that certain paintball markers can shoot paintballs at greater distances than others. However, this is not true as all markers must be chronographed to shoot at 300 fps before playing. Regardless of the price of the marker, as long as the paintballs are traveling at similar velocities, the distance they can travel remains the same. Adding a new factor of the marker's price, it can be seen that anything below a value of 600 will decrease the range, while anything above 600 will increase it. However, there are limits to this range increase or decrease, with a maximum decrease of 30 meters at a price of 100 and a maximum increase of 50 meters at a price of
1MileCrash
This is all done really fast for fun, may be some mistakes.

I'm a paintball player, and there seems to be a very prevalent misconception that certain paintball markers shoot paintballs greater distances than others.

This isn't true because before actually playing, your marker must be chronographed to be shooting 300 fps. Obviously if these two paintballs are roughly spherical, and are both traveling at similar velocities, physics doesn't care how expensive the paintball marker is.

Changing 300 fps to 100 m/s for simplicities sake, and assuming the paintball is shot from a height of 1.5 meters:

(I'm getting really frustrated with the math functions, so I'm typing it)

( 100 m/s ) √ (3 m / 9.8 m/s2)

Shows the distance, which comes out to about 55 meters. That seems close enough.

But I want to incorporate a new factor into the equation, the price of the marker.

We will say that anything below a value P of 600 will reduce the range given above, and anything above 600 will increase the range given above.

However at P = 100 the value should stop decreasing, and should decrease by no more than 30 meters. After P = 1600 the value should stop increasing, and should increase by no more than 50 meters.

Can anyone think of a simplistic and clean way to implement this? Perhaps modifying the 100 m/s?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
How about something like an arctangent?

Just start with 600 + arctan(x) and scale such that it gives you the properties you want.

Related to Need help writing a joke equation

1. How do I come up with a joke equation?

To come up with a joke equation, think of two unrelated concepts and try to find a way to connect them in a clever and unexpected way. You can also play with numbers and variables to add a humorous element.

2. Can anyone write a joke equation?

Yes, anyone can write a joke equation! It just takes a bit of creativity and a good sense of humor. Don't be afraid to think outside the box and have fun with it.

3. What are some examples of joke equations?

Some classic examples of joke equations include "Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana" and "Why was six afraid of seven? Because seven eight nine."

4. Are there any rules for writing a joke equation?

There are no set rules for writing a joke equation, but it's important to make sure it's clear and easy to understand. Avoid using overly complex or technical terms that might go over people's heads.

5. Can a joke equation be used in a serious setting?

While joke equations are meant to be humorous, they can also be used in a serious setting as a way to inject some lightheartedness into a presentation or speech. Just make sure it's appropriate for the context and audience.