Need Help with Your Study Routine for University Chemistry?

• Thread starter Hanabijm
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Study
In summary, the speaker is a freshman in university taking an honors chemistry course. They are struggling with managing their study schedule and getting nervous during exams. They have tried reading ahead of lectures and studying most of the day, but are still looking for tips on how to improve their studying. They recommend reading the blog and books by Cal Newport, but did not find his book "So Good They Can't Ignore You" helpful.
Hanabijm
I am a freshman in university, and my major requires that I take a general chemistry course. I actually enjoyed chemistry in high school, so I actually am taking an honors chemistry course.

Long story short, I am sort of lost on how to divide up my studying. We have a book of past exams (2007-2012) to practice, online homework, and a book written by the professors at our university. I can usually get through the online homework and get full points, but when it comes to exams I am very nervous and usually have trouble if the problems differ from problems on the practice exams.

In lecture, I feel like I'm simply rushing to copy down examples and hints. It's a huge lecture, so there isn't much room to ask questions.

Does anyone have any tips for managing my study schedule? I feel like I'm constantly playing catch-up and just grinding through book examples without knowing what I'm doing.

Physics news on Phys.org
One thing i do which may or may not benifit you is i usually read the chapter before going to the lecture. That way i know what the professor is going to talk about.

As for a study schedual i just study most of the day because i enjoy it. Sorry i couldn't help you on that one lol

http://calnewport.com/blog/
read the blog buy the books solved your problem

My review: I liked
-how to win at college
-how to become a straight a student
because it's condensed with useful study tips (you should read the blog for more stuff: there's lots of stuff in the book that's not on the blog and vice versa)

I don't like
So good they can't ignore you
because it's filled with interviews
and it seems to be geared (aimed) more towards people who are working in business (because the interview are business people)
see amazon reviews for more review lol
(I consider interviews with musicians, business software engineer person and documentary guy not useful to me as a Physics freshman)

Related to Need Help with Your Study Routine for University Chemistry?

1. What is the importance of having a study routine?

Having a study routine is essential for achieving academic success. It helps you stay organized, manage your time effectively, and maintain consistency in your studies. It also allows you to develop good study habits and improve your overall learning experience.

2. How can I create a study routine that works for me?

The key to creating a study routine that works for you is to identify your study style and preferences. This can include the time of day you are most productive, the type of environment you prefer, and the subjects you find most challenging. Once you have a clear understanding of your study habits, you can create a routine that aligns with your needs and goals.

3. How do I stick to my study routine?

Sticking to a study routine can be challenging, but there are a few strategies that can help. First, make sure your routine is realistic and manageable. It's better to start small and gradually increase your study time than to set unrealistic expectations. Additionally, find an accountability partner or use a study planner to help you stay on track. Rewarding yourself for sticking to your routine can also be motivating.

4. Can I change my study routine?

Yes, you can always make changes to your study routine if it's not working for you. It's important to be flexible and adapt your routine as needed. If you find that certain study techniques or times are not effective for you, don't be afraid to make adjustments. Just make sure to give the changes enough time to see if they are truly beneficial.

5. How long should my study routine be?

The length of your study routine will depend on your personal schedule and the amount of material you need to cover. It's important to find a balance between having enough study time to be productive and not overwhelming yourself. A good rule of thumb is to aim for 2-3 hours of studying per day, but adjust as necessary based on your workload and other commitments.