Need Help with Trig Identity Problem - Any Assistance Appreciated!

In summary, To prove the identity sin(x) + cos(x) = √2sin(x + π/4), we can use the trigonometric identity sin(x+z) = sin(x)cos(z)+sin(z)cos(x) and substitute z as 45 degrees or π/4 radians. After realizing that cos(45) and sin(45) equal √2 when added together, we can substitute these values into our equation and use the fact that sin(45)=cos(45)=1/sqrt(2). This allows us to simplify the equation and prove the given identity.
Barchie
Hey all, hope you could help me, would be very gratefull if you could.

Homework Statement

Show that sin(x) + cos(x) = √2sin(x + π/4)

Homework Equations

sin(x+z) = sin(x)cos(z)+sin(z)cos(x)

The Attempt at a Solution

Ive been doing some of these trig identity problems without an issue, but i get stuck when it comes to this one.

I get as far as sin(x)cos(45) + cos(x)sin(45)

i have realized that cos(45) and sin(45) when added together happen to = √2 but i can't seem to find the next step :-(

Any help grealy appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
i have realized that cos(45) and sin(45) when added together happen to = √2 but i can't seem to find the next step :-(
This is true, but do you know an expression for cos(45)? Or for sin(45)? If you find such an expression and substitute it you should be almost done.

BTW you really should work either in degrees or radians and not mix them. pi/4 suggests you work in radians, but 45 suggests you work in degrees.

Legend! Totally looked past that. Much appreciated!

you are so close

remember sin(45)=cos(45)=1/sqrt(2)

so sin(x+45)=1/sqrt(2) [sin(x) +cos(x)]

Thanks dude :-) Got the answer now! Appreciate the response.

Related to Need Help with Trig Identity Problem - Any Assistance Appreciated!

1. What is a trigonometric identity?

A trigonometric identity is an equation that involves trigonometric functions and is true for all values of the variables involved. These identities are fundamental to solving trigonometric equations and simplifying complex expressions.

2. How do I solve a trigonometric identity problem?

To solve a trigonometric identity problem, you must use algebraic manipulation and the properties of trigonometric functions to rewrite the equation in a simpler form. This involves using angle sum and difference identities, double angle identities, and other trigonometric identities to simplify the expression until it matches the other side of the equation.

3. What are some common trigonometric identities?

Some common trigonometric identities include the Pythagorean identities, which involve the relationships between sine, cosine, and tangent, the reciprocal identities, and the quotient identities. Other common identities include the sum and difference identities, double angle identities, and half angle identities.

4. Can you provide an example of solving a trigonometric identity problem?

Sure, here is an example: Simplify the expression tan(x) * cot(x).

Using the reciprocal identity cot(x) = cos(x)/sin(x), the expression can be rewritten as tan(x) * (cos(x)/sin(x)). Then, using the quotient identity tan(x) = sin(x)/cos(x), the expression becomes (sin(x)/cos(x)) * (cos(x)/sin(x)). Finally, using the commutative property of multiplication, the expression simplifies to 1, proving the identity.

5. How can I check my work when solving a trigonometric identity problem?

You can check your work by substituting in different values for the variables involved in the equation. If the equation holds true for all values of the variables, then the identity has been proven. You can also use online tools or a graphing calculator to graph both sides of the equation and see if they overlap, indicating that they are equal.