Need help with transforming one PDE to another

• MHB
  • Thread starter Kane1
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Pde
In summary, the equation $u_{tt} - c^2 u_{xx} + au_t + bu_x + du = f(x,t)$ can be transformed into an equation of the form $$w_{\xi\tau} + kw = g(\xi,\tau), w = w(\xi,\tau)$$ by first making the transformation $$\xi = x - ct, \tau = x + ct$$ and then letting $$u = w\exp{\alpha\xi + \beta\tau}$$ for some alpha and beta.
Kane1
For quick reference if you have the text, the question is from "Applied Partial Differential Equations" by J. David Logan. Section 1.9 #4
Show that the equation $$u_{tt} - c^2 u_{xx} + au_t + bu_x + du = f(x,t)$$
can be transformed into an equation of the form
$$w_{\xi\tau} + kw = g(\xi,\tau), w = w(\xi,\tau)$$
by first making the transformation $$\xi = x - ct, \tau = x + ct$$ and then letting $$u = w\exp{\alpha\xi + \beta\tau}$$ for some alpha and beta

I'm completely stumped at how to solve this problem, but I do not expect a solution, only a way to begin so I can get used to problems like these in general.

Physics news on Phys.org
Do you know how to transform first and second order derivatives under the change of variables

$\xi = x - ct$ and $\tau = x+ct$?

I honestly have no idea. I know that you have to relate $u(x,t)$ with $w(\xi,\tau)$ and then use the chain rule. If you could help me with finding one derivative, like transforming the term $u_t$ I will try the others on my own. Thank you for your reply

Here's the chain rule from Calc 3 (well, Calc 3 in US universities)

$u_t = u_{\tau} \tau_t + u_{\xi} \xi_t$

so if $\tau$ and $\xi$ are defined above, this becomes

$u_t = cu_{\tau} - c u_{\xi}$.

There are similar expressions for $u_x$, $u_{tt}$, $u_{tx}$ and $u_{xx}$.

Danny said:
Here's the chain rule from Calc 3 (well, Calc 3 in US universities)

$u_t = u_{\tau} \tau_t + u_{\xi} \xi_t$

so if $\tau$ and $\xi$ are defined above, this becomes

$u_t = cu_{\tau} - c u_{\xi}$.

There are similar expressions for $u_x$, $u_{tt}$, $u_{tx}$ and $u_{xx}$.

Ah, I have seen that before in another class! I think I understand now. Thank you, thank you!

Related to Need help with transforming one PDE to another

1. What is a PDE?

A PDE, or partial differential equation, is a type of mathematical equation that involves multiple variables and their partial derivatives. It is commonly used in physics and engineering to describe the relationship between various physical quantities.

2. How do you transform one PDE to another?

The process of transforming one PDE to another involves manipulating the given equation using mathematical techniques such as substitution, simplification, or integration. This allows us to change the variables or form of the PDE, making it easier to solve or better suited for a specific problem.

3. What are the common techniques for transforming PDEs?

Some common techniques for transforming PDEs include the method of characteristics, separation of variables, and the Fourier transform. These techniques involve breaking down the PDE into simpler equations, applying mathematical operations, and then recombining them to obtain the desired form.

4. Why is it important to transform PDEs?

Transforming PDEs is important because it allows us to solve complex problems that may not be solvable using the original form of the equation. By transforming the PDE, we can apply different mathematical methods or use known solutions to similar forms of the equation, making it easier to find a solution.

5. Are there any limitations to transforming PDEs?

Yes, there are limitations to transforming PDEs. Some PDEs may be impossible to transform into a simpler form, making them difficult to solve. Additionally, the transformed PDE may not accurately represent the original problem, leading to incorrect solutions. It is important to carefully consider the limitations and assumptions made when transforming a PDE.