Need help with Tangential Acceleration

In summary, a coin placed on a 12" record will revolve with the record at a speed of 33.33 rpm as long as it is not more than 4" from the axis. The coefficient of static friction between the coin and the record can be calculated using the radial acceleration and the normal force, which is equal to the weight of the coin. The tangential acceleration can be assumed to be zero in this case.
eyvhgi557r
1. A coin placed on a 12" record will revolve with the record when it is brought up to a speed of 33.33 rpm. Provided the coin is not more than 4" from the axis...

2. a) What is the coefficient of static friction between the coin and the record?

3. I have calculated the velocity of the coin to be 27.92 in/s and the radial acceleration to be 194.92 in/s^2. Don't I need to calculate the tangential acceleration now to calculate the total acceleration? How do I calculate the tangential acceleration? I know the formula for ta is at = dv/dt.

Physics news on Phys.org
eyvhgi557r said:
… when it is brought up to a speed of 33.33 rpm.

Don't I need to calculate the tangential acceleration now to calculate the total acceleration? How do I calculate the tangential acceleration? I know the formula for ta is at = dv/dt.

Hi eyvhgi557r! :smile:

Yes, aT = dv/dt.

But in exam questions like this, you can assume that the record is "brought up" to the final speed so gradually that the tangential acceleration can be taken to be zero.

So just forget it! :wink:

Great! Thanks. So how do I calculate the coefficient of static friction from the radial acceleration/force? Is the force acting on the coin in the opposite direction of the radial acceleration considered "n", the normal force?

eyvhgi557r said:
Great! Thanks. So how do I calculate the coefficient of static friction from the radial acceleration/force? Is the force acting on the coin in the opposite direction of the radial acceleration considered "n", the normal force?

No … the normal force is always normal to the surface … in this case, the surface is horizontal, so it's the vertical force, mg. :smile:

Related to Need help with Tangential Acceleration

1. What is tangential acceleration?

Tangential acceleration is the rate of change of an object's tangential velocity, or the speed at which the object moves along its curved path.

2. How is tangential acceleration calculated?

Tangential acceleration can be calculated using the formula a = v^2/r, where a is the tangential acceleration, v is the tangential velocity, and r is the radius of the object's curved path.

3. What is the difference between tangential acceleration and centripetal acceleration?

Tangential acceleration is the component of acceleration that is parallel to the object's velocity, while centripetal acceleration is the component that is perpendicular to the object's velocity and points towards the center of the curved path.

4. How does tangential acceleration affect motion?

Tangential acceleration affects the speed of an object moving along a curved path, causing it to either speed up or slow down.

5. Can tangential acceleration be negative?

Yes, tangential acceleration can be negative. A negative tangential acceleration means that the object is slowing down along its curved path.