Need Help with Simplifying Expressions on Your Graphing Calculator?

In summary, the conversation is about simplifying and factoring algebraic expressions. The participants discuss various equations and their solutions, as well as the use of graphing calculators and other tools to check their work.
physicsgal
{(m^2 +2m -3)/(m^2-4)} / {(m^2 - 2m +1)/(m^2 -1)

= {(m^2 +2m -3)/(m^2-4)} x {((m(m-1))/ (m^2 -2m +1)}

= [(m+3)m] / [(m +2)(m-2)]

does that like rightish? any opinions will be appreciated!

~Amy

Physics news on Phys.org
It's about 100% rightish.

Not quite. m2- 1= (m-1)(m+1), not m(m-1)
That's the only one you show factored, and it's wrong. It would be better to show how the other terms factor also.

Sorry, missed that somehow.

k thanks for the tip. my new answer is (m+2)/(m-1).. let me know if you need all the work shown (too lazy to type it if it's not really needed).

here's another one:

[3/(x+2)]+ [1/(x-1)]

=[4x-1/(x+2)(x-1)]?

and this one:
[a-3/(a+3)(a-5)] - [a/(a +3)(a+4)]

= (6a - 12)/ [(a+3)(a+4)(a-5)] ?

also, i recently purchased a ti-83+ graphing calculator and some software called 'microsoft student 2007'. can any of these two help me check my calculations for this type of problem? i tried to use the microsoft student, but couldn't figure out who to simlify these times of problems and i haven't the foggiest clue how to use my new graphing calculator. :eek:

~Amy

Both look right to me.

I've never owned or used a graphing calculator, so I'm afraid I can't help you with that. But there is a decent program out there called Autograph, that's quite a powerful yet simple-to-use tool. You can download a free 30 day trial of it from their website.

I'm not totally sure, but I presume that if you enter in what's on the left hand side of your equation, and get it to draw the graph of that function, and then also get it to draw what's on the right hand side of the equation, you'd expect their graphs to overlap...if that makes sense lol.

i've somewhat figured out my graphing calculator, like how to graph y= equations, but that's about it. there's a book on amazon about my specific caculator, so I am going to buy that and see if it helps.

~Amy

Related to Need Help with Simplifying Expressions on Your Graphing Calculator?

1. What is the definition of simplifying expressions?

Simplifying expressions is the process of combining like terms, performing operations, and using algebraic rules to rewrite an algebraic expression in its simplest form. This helps make the expression easier to understand and work with.

2. What are some common techniques for simplifying expressions?

Some common techniques for simplifying expressions include combining like terms, using the distributive property, and factoring. It is also important to follow the order of operations when simplifying expressions.

3. How do I know when an expression is fully simplified?

An expression is considered fully simplified when there are no more like terms that can be combined, all parentheses have been removed, and all operations have been performed according to the order of operations.

4. Can I simplify an expression with variables?

Yes, you can simplify an expression with variables by using the same techniques as you would with numerical expressions. However, you may need to use algebraic rules to combine like terms and simplify the expression fully.

5. Why is it important to simplify expressions?

Simplifying expressions is important because it helps to make complex algebraic expressions easier to understand and work with. It also allows us to solve equations and problems more efficiently by reducing the number of steps needed.