Need help with science experiment calculations

In summary, the conversation was about a chemistry experiment of turning copper coins into silver and gold using the information from a website. The participants are having trouble with calculating the percentage of brass, copper, and steel in the coins after the experiment, as well as determining the amount of zinc that dissolved and formed sodium zincate, and the amount of zinc that was formed on the copper coins. The conversation also discussed the different material compositions of pennies throughout history and how it could affect the calculations. The conversation ended with a suggestion to start with the first calculation question and for the participants to reply back for further assistance.
Silhou
me and my partner did an experiment of turning copper coins into 'silver' and 'gold'
we used this site or the info:
http://www.nuffieldfoundation.org/practical-chemistry/turning-copper-coins-silver-and-gold

But we're having trouble with knowing how to make the calculations of :

How much % brass, copper and steel is now in the coin after the experiment?
How much zinc dissolved and formed sodium zincate?
How much zinc was formed on the copper coin?

Can anyone please give us some suggestions on what we could do.

Physics news on Phys.org
ok let's first start out with the first question in mind,

what was your first calculation of the copper coins? first of all, did u use actual copper coins, or straight up pennies? cause if you used pennies, its going to be a bit difficult. if you gathered a bunch of pennies and did the experiment, then u got to notice the factor that each era of penny in the USA has different material composition. depending on its years.

here's a chart to explain: Years Material
1793–1857 100% copper
1857–1864 88% copper, 12% nickel (also known as NS-12)
1864–1942 1946–1962 bronze (95% copper, 5% tin and zinc)
1943 zinc-coated steel (also known as 1943 steel cent)
1944–1946 brass (95% copper, 5% zinc)
1962–1982 brass (95% copper, 5% zinc)
1982–present 97.5% zinc, 2.5% copper (core: 99.2% zinc, 0.8% copper; plating: pure copper)start off with the first calculation question, reply back and I'll see how to set this up.

Related to Need help with science experiment calculations

What is the purpose of calculating in a science experiment?

Calculations are an essential part of any science experiment as they help determine the quantitative results of the experiment. This allows for accurate analysis and conclusions to be drawn.

What types of calculations are commonly used in science experiments?

Some common types of calculations used in science experiments include measurements, conversions, percentages, ratios, and averages. These calculations help scientists make sense of the data collected during an experiment.

How do I know which equations to use for my experiment?

The equations you use will depend on the specific variables and data collected in your experiment. It is important to carefully analyze your data and determine which equations are appropriate to use. You can also consult with your teacher or a scientific resource for guidance.

What are some tips for performing accurate calculations in a science experiment?

To ensure accuracy in your calculations, it is important to use reliable and precise instruments for measuring, record all data carefully, and double-check your calculations for errors. It is also helpful to have a peer or teacher review your calculations for accuracy.

What should I do if my calculations do not match my expected results?

If your calculations do not match your expected results, it is important to re-evaluate your data and the equations used. Check for any errors in measurement or calculation and make adjustments as needed. If there are still discrepancies, consult with a teacher or scientific resource for further assistance.