Need help with Proper integral of a uniformly charged rod

In summary, the problem asks for the x-component of the electric field at a point (L,a) from a uniformly charged rod along the x-axis. To solve this, Coulomb's law for a linear charge distribution is used, which involves an integral over the entire line of charge. The x-component can be found by using the equations provided for \textbf{r} and \textbf{r}'.
db2dz

Homework Statement

A uniformly charged rod is places along the x-axis from x=0 to x= L. carefully set up, but do not solve the proper integral to determine the x component of the electric field at the point (L,a)

Homework Equations

E=u[tex]
\int \frac{dq}{(r^2)}
[/tex]

for a line dq=λdl

The Attempt at a Solution

i know for a line dq=λdl
i think its something along the lines of
Ey=Kλy=[tex]
\int \frac{dx}{(x^2y^2)^(3/2)}
[/tex] from 0 to L

I have no idea if this is right. I am using my notes to guide me.

Physics news on Phys.org
Coulomb's law for a linear charge distribution is:

[tex]\textbf{E}(\textbf{r})=\frac{1}{4\pi\epsilon_0}\int \lambda(\textbf{r}')\frac{\textbf{r}-\textbf{r}'}{|\textbf{r}-\textbf{r}'|^3}dl'[/tex]

Where [itex]dl'[/itex] is an infinitesimal length of the source, located at [itex]\textbf{r}'[/itex], and the integration is over the entire line of charge.

Use [itex]\textbf{r}=x\mathbf{\hat{x}}+y\mathbf{\hat{y}}+z\mathbf{\hat{z}}[/itex] and [itex]\textbf{r}'=x'\mathbf{\hat{x}}+y'\mathbf{\hat{y}}+z'\mathbf{\hat{z}}[/itex] to find the x-component.

Related to Need help with Proper integral of a uniformly charged rod

What is the formula for calculating the proper integral of a uniformly charged rod?

The formula for calculating the proper integral of a uniformly charged rod is given by the equation: I = λ * L * ln(1 + (d^2 / L^2)), where I is the integral value, λ is the charge density of the rod, L is the length of the rod, and d is the distance from the center of the rod to the point of integration.

What does the proper integral of a uniformly charged rod represent?

The proper integral of a uniformly charged rod represents the electric potential at a certain point due to the charge distribution along the rod. It takes into account the contribution of each infinitesimal segment of the rod, making it a more accurate representation of the electric potential compared to a simple summation.

What are the units of the proper integral of a uniformly charged rod?

The units of the proper integral of a uniformly charged rod depend on the units of the variables used in the formula. In the SI system, the units are Joules per Coulomb (J/C), which is equivalent to Volts (V).

Can the proper integral of a uniformly charged rod be negative?

Yes, the proper integral of a uniformly charged rod can be negative. This indicates that the electric potential at a certain point due to the rod's charge distribution is negative, which means that the direction of the electric field at that point is opposite to the direction of the electric field due to the rod.

What is the significance of the distance (d) in the proper integral formula of a uniformly charged rod?

The distance (d) in the proper integral formula of a uniformly charged rod represents the distance from the center of the rod to the point where the electric potential is being calculated. As d increases, the contribution of each segment of the rod decreases, resulting in a smaller value for the integral. This also means that the electric potential decreases as the distance from the rod increases.