Need help with my physics choice at university

In summary, the conversation discusses the speaker's interest in pursuing a masters in physics and going into research. They are wondering about the demand for research in physics and which areas of physics are in demand. The advice given is to post in the career guidance section and consider pursuing a PhD or focusing on majors such as education, engineering, applied math, or computer science. The speaker also shares their personal experience of not being able to find employment in physics and instead pursuing a second degree in applied math and computer science. They recommend not making the same mistake and considering specializing in medical physics for a masters degree.
jamie6114
I'm going to do physics at university and I really want to do a masters and go into research. Currently, I've just finished my AS Levels so I'll be going to university in 2013. I really want to do research because I want to try to solve and work on new, cutting edge research, not look at proven theories etc.
My questions are, is research in physics in demand? Like, are companies and projects looking for people to do research for them?
Also, what area of physics is most in demand? I've read that condensed matter is in demand and biophysics.
Please help!

Physics news on Phys.org
You should post this in the career guidance section on the main page.

I have a masters degree, I wouldn't recommend stopping there...go for the PhD. The job market for theoretical physicists is rough these days. I'd say either go for a physics PhD, or choose majors like education, engineering, applied math, or computer science. If you're going to go for a masters in physics, I'd recommend specializing medical physics.

I wasn't able to find physics related employment, so I'm currently getting a second degree in applied math & computer science. I guess I'm trying to say, don't make the same mistake I did.

Related to Need help with my physics choice at university

1. What is the importance of choosing the right physics course at university?

Choosing the right physics course at university is crucial because it will influence your future career opportunities and academic success. The right course should align with your interests and goals, and provide you with the necessary skills and knowledge for your desired field of study or career path.

2. How can I determine which physics course is right for me?

Before choosing a physics course, it is important to research the course curriculum and learning outcomes. You should also consider your strengths and weaknesses in physics, as well as any prerequisites or recommended courses for the program. Additionally, talking to current students or professors in the field can provide valuable insights.

3. What factors should I consider when selecting a physics course?

Some important factors to consider when selecting a physics course are the course content, teaching style, class size, and availability of resources and support. It is also important to consider the reputation and accreditation of the university and the department offering the course.

4. What if I am struggling with my chosen physics course?

If you find yourself struggling with your chosen physics course, it is important to seek help from your professor or teaching assistants. They can provide additional resources and support to help you better understand the material. You can also join study groups or seek tutoring services for extra help.

5. Can I switch to a different physics course if I am not satisfied with my current one?

Depending on the policies of your university and your department, it may be possible to switch to a different physics course if you are not satisfied with your current one. However, it is important to carefully consider your options and consult with your academic advisor before making any changes.