Need help with light reflection problems

In summary, the conversation discusses two light reflection problems. The first one is about finding the speed and wavelength of light in a liquid with a given index of refraction. The second problem involves calculating the largest angle of incidence for total internal reflection in a solid with a given index of refraction. The conversation also mentions using the formulas n=c/v and sin (critical angle) = nb/na to solve these problems.
eku_girl83
Need urgent help with light reflection problems

Here are my problems:
1) A beam of light has a wavelength of 610 nm in vacuum.
a: What is the speed of this light in a liquid whose index of refraction at this wavelength is 1.45?
I used n=c/v to get 2.07x10^8 m/s. This is correct.
b: What is the wavelength of these waves in the liquid?
I suppose I would use v=lambda*f
v=2.07x10^8 (from part a), but what is f??

2) A ray of light is incident in air on a block of a transparent solid whose index of refraction is n. If n=1.3, what is the largest angle of incidence a for which total internal reflection will occur at the vertical face?

I used sin (crictical angle) = nb/na, where nb=1 and na=1.3. The critical angle is the smallest angle for which total internal reflection occurs. How do I obtain the largest??

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi

Yes 2.07x10^8m/s is correct.

Remember that the frequency stays constant, so work out the original frequency using c = f* lamda, then insert that frequency into your second formula.

Well total internal refraction occurs for all angles greater than the critical angle... does the light need to carry on undergoing tir like in an optical fibre, if so you can work that out with the help of a simple diagram.

Dear student,

I understand that you are facing some difficulties with light reflection problems and you need urgent help. I am here to assist you with your questions to the best of my abilities.

For your first problem, you have correctly used the formula n=c/v to find the speed of light in the liquid. To find the wavelength in the liquid, you can use the formula v=lambda*f. In this case, the frequency (f) remains the same in both vacuum and liquid, so you can use the same value of 610 nm for f. This will give you the wavelength in the liquid as 421 nm.

For your second problem, you have correctly used the formula sin (critical angle) = nb/na to find the critical angle for total internal reflection. In order to find the largest angle of incidence, you can use the formula a = sin^-1 (nb/na). In this case, the largest angle of incidence would be 49.5 degrees.

I hope this helps you with your light reflection problems. If you have any further questions, feel free to reach out to me for assistance. Good luck with your studies!

Related to Need help with light reflection problems

1. What is light reflection?

Light reflection is the process in which light bounces off a surface, changing its direction of travel. This can occur when light encounters a smooth, shiny surface, such as a mirror, or when it encounters a rough surface with many irregularities, such as a piece of paper.

2. How does light reflection work?

Light reflection occurs when the light waves hit a surface and are absorbed and then re-emitted in different directions. The angle of reflection is equal to the angle of incidence, which is the angle at which the light waves hit the surface.

3. What is the law of reflection?

The law of reflection states that the angle of incidence is equal to the angle of reflection. This means that the incoming light rays and the reflected light rays will form equal angles with the surface they are hitting.

4. How does light reflection affect the color of an object?

The color of an object is determined by the wavelengths of light that are reflected off of it. When light hits an object, some wavelengths are absorbed and some are reflected. The wavelengths that are reflected determine the color of the object that we see.

5. How can light reflection problems be solved?

Light reflection problems can be solved by using the principles of light reflection and understanding the properties of the surfaces involved. For example, using a polarizing filter can help reduce glare from reflected light, and using matte surfaces can help reduce the intensity of reflected light. Additionally, adjusting the angle of incidence of the light can also help reduce unwanted reflections.