Need help with iron solenoid/core for an electromagnet?

In summary, the individual is making an electromagnet using a battery, copper wire, and an iron solenoid/core in the form of a magnetic spoon. They are unsure if it will work and are considering using a magnetic nail as an alternative. The advice given is to check the resistance for an idea of the magnetic field and to tightly wind the wire for a stronger field. Another suggestion is to use an old chuckout transformer for a better electromagnet.
mrphaam
i'm making an electromagnet with a battery, some copper wire, and a iron solenoid/core. For the core I'm using is a magnetic spoon, i was just wondering, will it work?

here's a picture, http://img706.imageshack.us/img706/9348/spoont.jpg , I'm not done wrapping the wire

basically it's either the spoon, or a magnetic nail the size of my finger

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF;
You will certainly have an electromagnet once the current is going - you may want to check the resistance to see what sort of current to expect. That will give you an idea of the likely magnetic field.

Apart from that, it depends on what you mean by "work": what do you hope it will do?

A quick hint: the more you wind it, and the tighter you wind it, the stronger the magnetic field will be.

If you want to make a good electromagnet, you can't beat the iron fomer you can get out of an old chuckout transformer. A bit of a struggle to strip it apart but it could be well worth the effort.
Most of the 'iron' you find around the place is, in fact, steel, which tends to stay magnetised once you turn off the current and you may not want that. Transformers have 'soft iron' which is just what you want.

I can provide some guidance on your project. First, it is important to understand the basic principles of electromagnetism. An electromagnet works by passing an electric current through a coil of wire, creating a magnetic field. This magnetic field can be strengthened by using a ferromagnetic material, such as iron, as the core of the electromagnet.

In your case, using a magnetic spoon or a magnetic nail as the core could potentially work, but there are some factors to consider. The size and shape of the core will affect the strength of the electromagnet. A longer and thicker core will generally produce a stronger magnetic field. Additionally, the type of iron used in the core can also make a difference. Soft iron is the best material for an electromagnet as it can be easily magnetized and demagnetized.

I would suggest experimenting with different sizes and shapes of iron cores to see which one produces the strongest magnetic field. Additionally, make sure that the wire is tightly wrapped around the core to maximize the effect of the magnetic field.

It is also important to consider the amount of current flowing through the wire. Increasing the current will also increase the strength of the magnetic field. However, be cautious not to use too much current as it could overheat the wire and potentially cause a fire.

Lastly, make sure to use a battery with enough voltage to power the electromagnet. A 9-volt battery is typically sufficient for small-scale projects like this.

In summary, using an iron core in your electromagnet is a good choice, but the size, shape, and type of iron used can affect its effectiveness. Experiment with different options and make sure to use proper safety precautions when working with electricity. Good luck with your project!

Related to Need help with iron solenoid/core for an electromagnet?

1. What is an iron solenoid/core for an electromagnet?

An iron solenoid/core is a piece of iron that is placed inside a coil of wire to increase the strength of an electromagnet. It acts as a core for the magnetic field generated by the coil.

2. How does an iron solenoid/core affect the strength of an electromagnet?

The iron solenoid/core amplifies the magnetic field produced by the coil of wire. This is because iron is a ferromagnetic material, meaning it can be easily magnetized and demagnetized. The presence of the iron core allows for more magnetic domains to align and thus creates a stronger magnetic field.

3. Can any type of iron be used for an electromagnet?

No, not all types of iron can be used for an electromagnet. The iron used must be ferromagnetic, meaning it can be easily magnetized and demagnetized. Soft iron is commonly used as it is highly magnetic and loses its magnetization quickly when the current is turned off.

4. Is there a limit to the size of the iron solenoid/core for an electromagnet?

Yes, there is a limit to the size of the iron solenoid/core for an electromagnet. As the size of the iron core increases, the distance between the coils of wire also increases, and this can lead to a decrease in the strength of the magnetic field. Therefore, the size of the iron solenoid/core should be carefully chosen to maximize the strength of the electromagnet.

5. How do I determine the appropriate size of the iron solenoid/core for my electromagnet?

The appropriate size of the iron solenoid/core for an electromagnet depends on factors such as the strength of the desired magnetic field, the size and shape of the coil, and the amount of current passing through the coil. It is best to consult a physics or engineering expert to determine the most suitable size for your specific electromagnet needs.