Need help with homework question. Anyone please thank you

In summary, the conversation is discussing how to solve two questions involving heat transfer. The first question involves determining how much heat a silver spoon absorbs from coffee to reach a specific temperature, while the second question involves calculating the heat removed by cooling tower water for each kilogram of spent steam. The solution involves using the specific heat of silver and a formula for heat and temperature change, which can be found in a physics textbook or through online research.
eddiestylin

Homework Statement

a 50.0g silver spoon at 20.0*C is placed in a cup of coffee at 90.0*c. how much heat does the spoon absorb from the coffee to reach a temperature of 89.0*C

HOW DO I SOLVE THIS!

and also this question

Spent Steam from an electric generating plant leaves the turbines at 120.0*C and is cooled to 90.0*C liquid water by water from a cooling tower in a heat exchanger. how much heat is removed by the cooling tower water for each kilogram of spent steam?

Physics news on Phys.org
eddiestylin said:
a 50.0g silver spoon at 20.0*C is placed in a cup of coffee at 90.0*c. how much heat does the spoon absorb from the coffee to reach a temperature of 89.0*C

HOW DO I SOLVE THIS!
You need the value of a physical constant known as the specific heat of that metal (silver). If it's not in your textbook, use google.

NascentOxygen said:
You need the value of a physical constant known as the specific heat of that metal (silver). If it's not in your textbook, use google.

so how do i solve it i really don't know this at all.

heat absorbed from the coffee = [Solution deleted by moderator.]

Last edited by a moderator:
While the OP has seen the solution that was posted, I'll just remark that there should be a discussion of this topic in the OP's physics textbook, along with the formula relating heat and temperature change, plus a list of specific heat values for different materials.

Related to Need help with homework question. Anyone please thank you

What is the best way to ask for help with a homework question?

The best way to ask for help with a homework question is to provide specific details about the question and what you have already tried. This will make it easier for others to understand and provide relevant assistance.

Can anyone help me with my homework question?

Yes, there are many individuals who are willing to help with homework questions. You can ask for help from classmates, teachers, tutors, or online communities and forums.

How do I know if the answer I receive is correct?

You can check the answer by referring to your textbook, class notes, or asking your teacher for clarification. It is important to understand the concept and reasoning behind the answer rather than just accepting it as correct.

Is it okay to ask for help with my homework?

Yes, it is okay to ask for help with your homework. It is a common practice and can actually improve your understanding and performance in the subject.

What should I do if I am still struggling with the homework question?

If you are still struggling with the homework question, you can ask for further clarification or seek additional resources from your teacher or tutor. You can also try breaking down the question into smaller parts and tackling them one at a time.