Need help with files with "mlp" extension

In summary, the mlp files are pH vs Time graphs from a lab data logger. The software used to create them is unavailable, but the files can be opened in a text editor. The first few bytes of the file are an identifying header, and looking at the hex values of those bytes may be helpful in understanding the data.
Virous
Good Evening!

I have a few files with "mlp" extension, which are pH vs Time graphs from a lab data logger. The original software is unavailable to me, but in the Internet I can`t find anything to open it.

Please, help!

Computer science news on Phys.org
No, these are not sound files. I`m absolutely sure, since I recorded all these files myself. Audio format is the only thing I get from Google as well.

I hope to find someone on this forum who possesses the same kind of data logger and will share his software with me. On the official website of the manufacturer I found the software (MultiLab), but only the latest version, which uses a different format (mlb instead of mlp).

Yeah, seems it`s the only way. They don`t tend to be fast when it comes to their support service. Especially on weekends :(

Have you looked at the files with an editor or binary dump (ala vim -b or the od command in linux)?

http://usevim.com/2012/06/20/vim-binary-files/

You might be able to construct a program in your favorite language or a script in Python to read it.

Yes, I tried to open them with a text editor. I can clearly see the header of the table (e.g. "Temperature"), but I can`t find any numbers.

http://www.filedropper.com/5_11 - this is one of the files.

Last edited by a moderator:
I can see two long strings with lots of groups of 3 symbols separated by 5 null-bytes. I presume, these are the values I need. 3 bytes should be enough to store a decimal number with 4 s.f., I guess. But I see no relationship between these groups and actual numbers :(

you have to worry about byte order too, known as little-endian vs big-endian format. If the mlp file was recorded on an Intel machine then the binary numbers are little-endian format. If it was a on PowerPC chip as an example, it would be big-endian format.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Endianness#Little-endian

Its hard to say whether they recorded that data as data points like ph value, temp value... or all ph values (an array) and all temp values

Viewed on a hex[adecimal] editor http://www.filedropper.com/5_11 begins ...
Code:
 DBLabFile.v.1.4 ...Exp..3...  ..Temperature.I/  O-1..C..
if that's any help.

http://www.fileformat.info/tool/hexdump.htm
5mpl online analysis = dunno.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
This dump is only partially helpful. The first few bytes are an identifying header and seeing the dots means you really need to look at the hex values for those bytes as they may be filler, or binary data like a floating or number...

Related to Need help with files with "mlp" extension

What is an "mlp" file?

An "mlp" file is a file extension that is associated with the software program "My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic". This file type is used to store various game data and resources, such as images, music, and animation files.

How do I open an "mlp" file?

To open an "mlp" file, you will need to have the software program "My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic" installed on your computer. Once the program is installed, you can open the file by double-clicking on it or by going to File > Open within the program.

Can I convert an "mlp" file to a different format?

It is not possible to convert an "mlp" file to a different format, as it is a proprietary file type only used by the "My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic" software. However, you can export certain elements of the file, such as images or music, to be used in other programs.

What should I do if I can't open an "mlp" file?

If you are having trouble opening an "mlp" file, make sure that you have the correct software program installed and updated. If the file still won't open, it may be corrupted or damaged. In this case, try to obtain a new version of the file or contact the creator for assistance.

Are "mlp" files safe to download and open?

In general, "mlp" files are safe to download and open as they are created by a reputable and well-known software program. However, as with any file, it is always recommended to exercise caution and only download files from trusted sources to avoid any potential security risks.