Need help with explaining surface tension

In summary, Surface tension is a force caused by the intermolecular or interatomic bonds in a liquid. It is responsible for viscosity and plays a role in the stability of bubbles. The force is tangential to the liquid surface and can be affected by the presence of a solid surface.
airforce840
My group is to teach a lesson to our AP Physics class on a lesson from our book. We got lesson 92, which deals with Viscous Fluids, Surface Tension, and Elastic Properties of Solids. Since there's 3 people, we each got one and lucky me got surface tension. I have to be able to discuss this pretty darn throughly, explaining anything about it. I see that there's an equation, gamma = F/L Answer being in N/m 's

I have some info from my book but there is these force diagrams that i have NO clue how I am going to explain, and maybe that's why i think i don't understand this. It gives an example of a needle on top of water. Needle weights .008 N so what's the max. ^ force of the water...it would be .001. This force diagram shows a Tx on both sides of the needle 2 Ty's up and to T's going at feta angle. I don't get that. I understand everything else. Where are all these forces coming from?

Ok, maybe I am making this too complicated...or undercomplicating it. I am not sure. Can someone give me a general info on surface tension so that they can solve problems dealing with them and i not sound like a total moron when up in front of the class?

Thanks in advanced, sry for such a long post..

Physics news on Phys.org
The force in surface tension arises from the intermolecular (or interatomic) bonds in the liquid phase of a two phase system. These same forces are responsible for viscosity.

As FredGarvin recommended, Hyperphysics is a good starting point.

For a stable bubble, the force created by the gas pressure (inside the bubble) must balance the tension at the surface of the bubble, which is really the interface between gas (or vapor) and liquid phases. The tension has to be in the liquid because there is not contiguous bonding in a gas.

The tensile force also acts tangent (parallel) with the surface of the liquid. Where the bubble attaches to a solid surface, there is interatomic bonding between liquid and solid.

Last edited:

Related to Need help with explaining surface tension

1. What is surface tension?

Surface tension is a physical property of liquids that causes the surface of the liquid to behave like a thin, elastic film. It is the force that holds the molecules of a liquid together at the surface, creating a barrier between the liquid and its surroundings.

2. How is surface tension measured?

Surface tension is typically measured in units of force per unit length, such as newtons per meter (N/m). This can be measured using specialized instruments, such as a tensiometer, which calculates the force required to stretch a liquid surface.

3. What factors affect surface tension?

The surface tension of a liquid is affected by several factors, including temperature, pressure, and the presence of impurities or additives. Generally, as temperature increases, surface tension decreases, and as pressure increases, surface tension increases.

4. Why does surface tension cause liquids to form droplets?

Surface tension causes liquids to form droplets because the molecules at the surface of the liquid are more tightly bound together than those in the interior. This creates a force that pulls the liquid into a spherical shape, which minimizes the surface area and maximizes the surface tension.

5. How is surface tension important in everyday life?

Surface tension plays a crucial role in many everyday phenomena, such as water beading on a surface, insects walking on water, and the formation of soap bubbles. It also has practical applications, such as in the production of detergents, paints, and adhesives.