Need help with Dynamo rule applied to coil and magnet:

In summary, the conversation discusses whether or not moving a bar magnet left and right inside coils will induce a current or electromotive force (emf). The individual believes it will, but questions why since the motion is not perpendicular to the magnetic field lines. They also mention that there is an answer waiting for them on TSR and express their willingness to hear other explanations before sharing their own.
Hi, (I posted this on TSR as well, but they're being a bit slow...)

Take the following setup:

1-5.jpg

If you move the bar magnet left and right (a few cm) inside the coils, so that the ends do not leave the coil, will it induce a current/emf? I presume it does so, as I have been taught.

But I don't see why it will induce a current, since the motion in not perpendicular to the field lines. I haven't drawn the field lines in, because that would be a bit hard to do in paint lol. But I hope you can see what I mean.

Like, to induce a current, the motion of the conductor would have to CUT across a magnetic field perpendicularly. At the moment, the coils are effectively moving parallel to the magnetic field, since the magnet is being pushed left and right.

So this is basically the same diagram as above:

2-5.jpg

In this case, no current would be induced..right?

I know I am wrong somewhere, and I think I know where it is, but Ill let some people explain before I tell.

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
There's an answer waiting for you on TSR.

Ok thanks

Related to Need help with Dynamo rule applied to coil and magnet:

1. How does a dynamo rule apply to a coil and magnet?

The dynamo rule states that when a coil of wire is rotated in a magnetic field, it will generate an electric current.

2. What is the purpose of using a coil and magnet in a dynamo?

A coil and magnet are essential components of a dynamo as they work together to convert mechanical energy into electrical energy.

3. How does the strength of the magnet affect the output of a dynamo?

The stronger the magnet, the stronger the magnetic field, which results in a stronger electric current being generated in the coil.

4. Can a dynamo work without a magnet?

No, a magnet is necessary for the dynamo to work as it creates the magnetic field that interacts with the coil to generate electricity.

5. Is there a specific direction the coil should be rotated in for the dynamo to work?

Yes, the coil must be rotated perpendicular to the magnetic field to generate the maximum amount of electrical energy.