Train A and B's Speed of Light Encounter: A Physics Question

In summary, Train A and Train B are traveling in opposite directions at 60% the speed of light. Train A has a trip wire and light set up at its front and back, while Train B is approaching with its own trip wire and light. According to special relativity, the velocities do not simply sum, but follow a specific formula. Therefore, the light from Train A will always reach the back of Train A before Train B does. This is demonstrated in a spacetime diagram from the rest frame of Train A.
RRR
not sure if this is the right place to post this question. If not, please forgive me.

I have no training in physics so this may seem like a silly question and I'm sure a similar if not identical analogy exists. But here goes.

Train A is traveling at 60% the speed of light going East. Train B is approaching Train A while also traveling at 60% the speed of light going West. Train A is equipped with a trip wire at the front and a trip-wire at the back and also a light at the front of the train and a light detection device at the back. When the front of Train A meets the plane of the front of Train B, the first trip wire sets of the light at the front of train A. The question is, will Train B make it to the rear of train A before the light?

Remember, I'm just a duffer so take it easy on me :smile:

Thanks in advance,
Robert

Physics news on Phys.org
here is a crude diagram of my question

see attachment

Attachments

• light puzzle.jpg
    light puzzle.jpg
    8.8 KB · Views: 439
Firstly I assume you mean from the refernce point of train A (though this won't affect the answer qualitvely). The answer is no the light will always reach there first as in special relativity the velocites do not sum in the same way they do in Galliean relatvity, but obey the formula v' = (u + v)/(1 + uv/c2), so, from the point of view of train A, train B will be traveling at about 88% of the speed of light and (by symmetry) vice versa.

Thank you...Yes, it was from Train A that I was thinking.

Now, for the full force of my ignorance. "u" represents what? And which velocity does "v'" and "v" represent?

Thanks again,
Robert

In this case u represents the velocity of Train A from the refernce point of the track, v the velocity of Train B from the refernce point of the track and v' the velocity of Arain B from the reference point of Train A

many thanks again

thanks for the help,
Robert

I see that even some "duffer"s have many brain cells. That was very well done.

I'm going to stick my neck out and say this: If you watch the strobe light on a plane at nite, you basically see the flash and then in another location you see another flash. Now the plane is moving but the light isn't. Imagine that a light source is sending out many flashes instead of one continuous stream. And each flash stays where it was when it was created. And emanates from that point. That, I think is what light does. In the train analogy, the tracks would be the ref frame. It's like taking a snapshot of the trains.
Now I'll wait for everybody to land on me.
Regards.

RRR said:
The question is, will Train B make it to the rear of train A before the light?

As already answered, yes, the light will arrive at the detector before Train B. Here's a spacetime diagram showing the result diagrammatically from the rest frame of Train A.

Attachments

• 2_TRAINS..JPG
    2_TRAINS..JPG
    13.8 KB · Views: 335

1. What is the concept behind Train A and B's Speed of Light Encounter?

The concept behind Train A and B's Speed of Light Encounter is based on the theory of relativity, which states that the speed of light is constant and the same for all observers regardless of their relative motion. This means that if two objects are moving towards each other at high speeds, they will both perceive the other object to be approaching at a speed that is less than the speed of light.

2. How is the speed of light calculated in this scenario?

In this scenario, the speed of light is calculated by using the equation c = λ * f, where c is the speed of light, λ is the wavelength of light, and f is the frequency of light. This equation shows that the speed of light is dependent on the wavelength and frequency of light.

3. What are the implications of this encounter on time and space?

This encounter has significant implications on time and space. According to the theory of relativity, time and space are relative and can be affected by an object's speed. In this scenario, as the trains approach each other at high speeds, time will seem to slow down for both observers on the trains, and the length of the trains will appear shorter to an external observer.

4. Can the speed of light be surpassed in this scenario?

No, the speed of light cannot be surpassed in this scenario or in any other scenario. According to the theory of relativity, the speed of light is the ultimate speed limit in the universe, and it cannot be exceeded by any object or particle.

5. How does this encounter relate to Einstein's Theory of Special Relativity?

This encounter is a practical demonstration of Einstein's Theory of Special Relativity, which explains the relationship between space and time and how they are affected by speed and gravity. This scenario shows that the speed of light is constant for all observers, regardless of their relative motion, and that time and space are relative concepts.