Need help with a project involving heavy metals

In summary, the project discussed is focused on removing heavy metals (specifically Fe, Mn, Ca, and Mg) from water. The goal is to conduct an experiment with a sample of water containing a heavy metal and find a method to remove it. The individual has been doing online research and needs a feasible method that can be performed independently with a spending limit of $15. One potential approach is to use an ion exchange resin, despite the spending limit.
altegron
Basically my project is to present a method of removing Fe, Mn, Ca or Mg from water and then do an experiment on a sample of water with the heavy metal in it.

I've been doing a lot of searching online so far, and most of what I have found does not relate. I need something that I can actually perform myself, preferably something that I can make on my own. (I could possibly compare different types of products, but there is a $15 spending limit imposed by my teacher.)

I saw a thread and it looked like removing Iron would be something I could do in an experiment.

I just don't know where to start on that idea though. Would I need to acquire some type of Iron, and then get some chlorine? Just let them react in water and filter it? What would I use as a filter? We have filter paper in our classroom but I don't think that'd do it.

Please tell me if this would be a feasible option for this presentation/experiment...

P.S. Here is the thread I saw: physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=201728

Physics news on Phys.org
Search for information and resources on Ion Exchange Resins. That $15 limit must be ignored.

Hello,

Thank you for reaching out for assistance with your project involving heavy metals. Removing Fe, Mn, Ca, or Mg from water can be a challenging task, but there are several methods that can be used to achieve this goal.

One option for removing heavy metals from water is through a process called ion exchange. This involves using a special resin that can attract and bind to certain ions, such as those found in heavy metals. You can make your own ion exchange column by packing a small glass column with the resin and running the contaminated water through it. This should effectively remove the heavy metals from the water. However, please note that this method may not be feasible for your project due to the cost of the resin.

Another option is to use chemical precipitation, which involves adding a chemical to the contaminated water that will cause the heavy metal ions to form a solid and settle out of the water. For example, for iron removal, you could use chlorine as you suggested, or you could also use lime or alum. Again, this may require some initial investment in purchasing the chemicals, but it may be within your $15 spending limit.

As for the experiment, you could compare the effectiveness of different chemicals in removing heavy metals from water by conducting a series of tests using the same contaminated water sample. You could measure the concentration of the heavy metals before and after treatment to see which method was most effective.

In terms of filtration, filter paper may not be enough to remove the heavy metals. You may need to use a more specialized filter, such as activated carbon, to effectively remove the heavy metals from the water.

I hope this information helps you get started on your project. Remember to always follow proper safety precautions when handling chemicals and to seek guidance from your teacher or a professional if needed. Good luck with your project!

Related to Need help with a project involving heavy metals

1. What are heavy metals and why are they a concern?

Heavy metals are elements that have a high atomic weight and density, such as lead, mercury, cadmium, and arsenic. They can be toxic to living organisms and the environment due to their ability to accumulate and persist in the environment for long periods of time.

2. How do heavy metals enter the environment?

Heavy metals can enter the environment through natural and human activities such as volcanic eruptions, weathering of rocks and soil, industrial processes, and agricultural practices. They can also be released from products and waste disposal sites.

3. What are the potential health effects of heavy metal exposure?

Exposure to heavy metals can have a range of health effects, depending on the type and amount of exposure. Some common health effects include neurological and developmental disorders, respiratory problems, kidney and liver damage, and cancer.

4. How can we prevent or reduce heavy metal pollution?

Preventing or reducing heavy metal pollution involves a combination of strategies, including implementing strict regulations and monitoring systems for industrial and agricultural activities, promoting sustainable waste management practices, and reducing the use of heavy metals in consumer products.

5. What are some techniques for removing heavy metals from contaminated sites?

There are several techniques for removing heavy metals from contaminated sites, including physical methods such as excavation and dredging, chemical treatments such as precipitation and ion exchange, and biological methods such as phytoremediation. The most appropriate method depends on the type and extent of contamination and the site conditions.