Need help with a generalized formula for factoring

In summary, Jacob is looking for a general formula for the second term in a summation from 1 to n as a geometric series.
Jacob Chestnut
Hello,

I’ve come upon a problem in my transitional mathematics course, wherein I need to prove a generalized formula for the factorization of X^n-Y^n where the first term is
(X-Y). I have deduced a formula making use of the summation of X*Y over the range of positive integers ending at n, but this formula seems over complicated and hard to work with in an inductive proof. I’d post my solution but I’m unable to use the mathematics display software that I see some people using.

I’ve taken a look on google and I can’t seem to find any mention of this general formula, so I’d like it if someone could point me to the standard formula so I can check my work before getting into my proof.

Thanks in advance,
Jacob

Physics news on Phys.org
Try using long division of the polynomial by x - y.

Thanks for the advice, but that’s not really what I need to know.

It’s really easy to figure out what the second term is for a specific value of n, but I’m trying to find a general formula for a general value of n. The pattern is even easy to see, but I want to know if anyone knows of a general standard formula for the second term as a summation from 1 to n.

Jacob Chestnut said:
Thanks for the advice, but that’s not really what I need to know.

It’s really easy to figure out what the second term is for a specific value of n, but I’m trying to find a general formula for a general value of n. The pattern is even easy to see, but I want to know if anyone knows of a general standard formula for the second term as a summation from 1 to n.

But you can do the long division for general n! You will find that the second factor (after dividing by x -y) is a geometric series.

I'm sorry; I’m not familiar with a geometric series in two variables. Would the multiplicative factor in this case be x^(-1)*y?

Thanks for the help,
Jacob

[tex]x^n - y^n = (x-y)\left(x^n + x^{n-1}y + x^{n-2}y^2 + \cdot \cdot \cdot + x^2 y^{n-2} + x y^{n-1} + y^n\right)[/tex]

Related to Need help with a generalized formula for factoring

What is factoring?

Factoring is a mathematical process in which an expression is broken down into simpler terms that can be multiplied together to obtain the original expression.

Why do we need to factor expressions?

Factoring allows us to simplify and solve more complex equations by identifying common factors and reducing the overall complexity of the expression.

What is the generalized formula for factoring?

The generalized formula for factoring is ax² + bx + c = (mx + n)(px + q), where a, b, c, m, n, p, and q are coefficients. This formula can be used to factor quadratic expressions.

What are the steps for factoring an expression?

The steps for factoring an expression are:1. Identify the greatest common factor (GCF) of all terms.2. Use the GCF to factor out the common term from each term in the expression.3. Determine the remaining factors by using the distributive property and the GCF.4. Check your factored expression by multiplying the factors together to ensure it is equivalent to the original expression.

Can factoring be used for other types of equations?

Yes, factoring can also be used for polynomial, rational, and radical equations. The process may vary slightly for each type of equation, but the basic concept of identifying common factors and simplifying the expression remains the same.