Need help with a conditional variance proof.

In summary, the problem is asking for a proof that if y is not a function of x, then there are 2 y values or more. In order to do so, the problem requires an understanding of conditional variance.
Kuma
need urgent help with a conditional variance proof.

I have been given this problem and I'm pretty stumped.

I want to prove that Y=g(X) if and only if var(YlX) = 0.

so if var(YlX)=0 then

E(Y^2lX) - E(YlX)^2 = 0

E(Y^2lX) =E(YlX)^2

so what should I do now? I tried showing that this equation is true when y =g(X), but in the end I end up with var(g(X)) = 0...unless I did something wrong.

Physics news on Phys.org

I want to prove that Y=g(X) if and only if var(YlX) = 0.

In an advanced course on probability, I doubt that statement is true because there are techicalities about "sets of measure zero". If this problem is from an introductory course in probability, I assume it deals with discrete distributions.

Suppose there is a value [itex] X_0 [/itex], such that Y can have two or more different values when [itex] X = X_0 [/itex]. Show that at least one of these possible values for Y contribues a positive term to the sum for computing the variance [itex] E(Y|X_0) [/itex].

thanks for the reply. I kind of see where this is going. So for example if I had y^2 = x, then for each value of x there would be 2 values of y.

there is still a few things I'm a bit lost on though. Why would I want to compute the variance of the conditional expectation? I'm looking for the variance to be zero.

the question let's me assume that these are discrete rvs.

the conditional expectation of (YlX=x0) is calculated by sigma x * p(xly). So if I had two different values for x, am I trying to make the sum 0?

Kuma said:
tWhy would I want to compute the variance of the conditional expectation? I'm looking for the variance to be zero.
My mistake. I should have written [itex] Var(Y|X_0) [/itex] instead of [itex] E(Y|X_0) [/itex].

If the joint density is f(x,y)

[itex] Var(Y|X_0) = \sum (y - \bar{y} )^2 C f(y,x_0) [/itex]
where [itex] C = \frac {1}{ \sum f(y,x_0)} [/itex] and the sums are taken over all possible values of Y.

If Y is not a function of X then there are at least two values [itex] y_1 [/itex] and [itex] y_2 [/itex] with [itex] f(y1,x_0) > 0 [/itex] and [itex] f(y2,x_0) > 0 [/itex]. Only one of these values can be equal to [itex] \bar{y} [/itex].

I evaded the issue of whether [itex] \bar{y} [/itex] is [itex] E(Y)[/itex] or [itex] E(Y|x_0) [/itex] because I don't remember the precise definition of conditional variance!

I'm a bit confused about the part where you mentioned that if y was not a function of x, then there are 2 y values or more. Why is that? I'm not sure what it has to do with y nkt being a function of x.

also you sai that only one of f(yn, x) can be y bar. How js that possible since in the discrete case the joint distribution is a probability.

Kuma said:
I'm a bit confused about the part where you mentioned that if y was not a function of x, then there are 2 y values or more. Why is that? I'm not sure what it has to do with y nkt being a function of x.

If, for each value of x, there is one and only one possible y value possible then y is a function of x. Essentially that is the definition of a function. If y is not a function of x then either there is a y_i not associated with any of the x_i or there is an x_i with two or more possible y_i's.

also you sai that only one of f(yn, x) can be y bar. How js that possible since in the discrete case the joint distribution is a probability.

I didn't say that only one of the f(yn,x) can be y bar. I said only one of y1 and y2 can be y bar.

but what about for multi valued functions that are not 1-1, so in that case like you said, y is not a function of x? I kind of get it because if it was a 1-1 function, where there is only 1 y for every x, then the variance would be 0. Since µ would just be g(X) and the variance of that is 0.

so jf I understand this correctly, that is the proof in itself? Since the variance of a function of x is 0, I'm done? If there are 2 or more y for each x then y js not a function of x.

Kuma said:
but what about for multi valued functions that are not 1-1, so in that case like you said, y is not a function of x?

"Multi-valued functions" are not functions, just like "counterfeit money" isn't money.

Related to Need help with a conditional variance proof.

1. What is a conditional variance?

A conditional variance is a measure of the variability of a random variable, given the values of another variable. It is used to analyze the relationship between two variables and can provide insights into how changes in one variable affect the variability of the other.

2. Why is a conditional variance proof important?

A conditional variance proof is important because it allows us to mathematically prove the relationship between two variables and understand the underlying mechanisms that drive their variability. It also helps in making predictions and forecasting future values.

3. How do you calculate conditional variance?

The formula for calculating conditional variance is Var(Y|X) = E[(Y-E[Y|X])^2|X], where Y is the random variable and X is the conditioning variable. This formula takes into account the expected value of Y given X and calculates the squared differences between the observed and expected values.

4. What are some applications of conditional variance?

Conditional variance is commonly used in the fields of statistics, economics, and finance. It is used to analyze relationships between variables, make predictions, and assess risk. It is also used in time series analysis and forecasting, as well as in regression models.

5. What are some common challenges in proving conditional variance?

One of the main challenges in proving conditional variance is dealing with complex mathematical formulas and calculations. Another challenge is ensuring that the conditions for the proof are met and that the results are valid. It also requires a good understanding of statistical concepts and methods.