Need help transitioning from calculus to proof-based math? Check out this book!

In summary, "An Introduction to Mathematical Reasoning" by Peter J Eccles is recommended as a good book to transition from a calculus sequence to upper level proof based classes. It assumes no prior knowledge of mathematical reasoning and includes practice questions and challenging problems.
ice109
what's a good book to segue from a calc sequence to upper level proof based classes? i need something that presumes nothing about my mathematical reasoning abilities, like i don't even know how to do proof by induction.

Physics news on Phys.org
The best book in my opinion is An Introduction to Mathematical Reasoning by Peter J Eccles. It teaches you how do proofs, and covers a variety of mathematical fields. I myself learned to do proofs from this book. He is coming out without another edition later on. The book has questions and problems. The problems are harder than the questions, and some of them are challenging.

As a scientist with experience in proof-based math, I can understand the difficulty in transitioning from calculus to proof-based classes. It requires a different way of thinking and approaching problems. I would recommend the book "How to Prove It: A Structured Approach" by Daniel J. Velleman. This book is specifically designed for students who are new to proof-based math and provides a step-by-step guide to developing mathematical proofs. It covers topics such as proof strategies, mathematical induction, and proof by contradiction, making it a great resource for someone who is just starting to learn about proofs. I hope this recommendation helps in your transition to upper-level proof-based classes. Happy learning!

Related to Need help transitioning from calculus to proof-based math? Check out this book!

1. What is "Intro to advanced math" and why is it important?

"Intro to advanced math" is a course that introduces students to more complex mathematical concepts and techniques. It is important because it provides a foundation for further studies in math and other related fields, and also helps develop critical thinking and problem-solving skills.

2. What topics are typically covered in "Intro to advanced math"?

Some common topics covered in this course may include: functions, limits, derivatives, integrals, sequences and series, vectors, matrices, and differential equations.

3. Who would benefit from taking "Intro to advanced math"?

This course is beneficial for students who are interested in pursuing a degree in math, engineering, physics, or other related fields. It can also be useful for students who want to improve their analytical and problem-solving skills.

4. Do I need to have a strong background in math to take this course?

It is recommended to have a good understanding of basic algebra, geometry, and trigonometry before taking this course. However, as long as you are willing to put in the effort and have a strong work ethic, you can still succeed in this course.

5. What can I expect to gain from taking "Intro to advanced math"?

By taking this course, you can expect to gain a deeper understanding of mathematical concepts and their applications. You will also develop problem-solving skills, critical thinking abilities, and gain a solid foundation for further studies in math and related fields.