Need help solving second-order nonlinear differential eq

In summary, a doctoral student in civil engineering has come across a differential equation representing the net force on an object as it impacts a granular medium at low velocities. They believe this equation can lead to an analytical method for determining soil shear strength parameters using inexpensive testing. However, their differential equation skills are rusty and they are struggling to solve the problem. They have attempted to simplify the equation and are seeking guidance on how to proceed. Suggestions include making a substitution and using variation of parameters.
WelshCorgiDude
Hello,

I'm a doctoral student in civil engineering. In my research I came across a differential equation for the net force acting on an object as it impacts a granular medium at low velocities.

z'' + a[ z' ]^2 + b[ z ] = c
Where a, b, and c are all constants

I believe that this equation will allow for the development of an analytical method for the determination of soil shear strength parameters in situ using rapid and inexpensive testing procedures. Unfortunately, my differential equation skills are horribly rusty, so this problem's solution has been rather ellusive. I've gotten as far as using the chain rule (?) to make the problem first-order, and developed the following:

If u = z' and u' = z'' (or u du/dz = z''), then u(du/dz) + a^2 +b[z] = c

I'm not sure where to go from here (or if I'm even going in the right direction). Textbook examples similar to this problem collapse nicely into an easily solvable problem, but not this one. I would really appreciate any guidance on this problem. Thanks in advance!

--Peter

Physics news on Phys.org
Sorry, I evidently turned underline on when making that second equation. Here is is again.

If u = z' and u'' = z'' (or u du/dz = z''), then u(du/dz) + a[ u ]^2 + b[ z ] = c

Your original DE is ##y'' + ay'^2 + by = c##. Consider the substitution ##w(y) = y'^2##. Then$$
\frac{dw}{dy} = \frac{dw}{dx}\cdot \frac{dx}{dy}= \frac{\frac{dy'^2}{dx}}{\frac{dy}{dx}}=\frac{2y'y''}{y'}=2y''$$so you have ##y''=\frac 1 2 \frac{dw}{dy}## and your DE becomes$$
\frac 1 2 \frac{dw}{dy}+aw(y)+by = c$$This is a first order constant coefficient DE with independent variable ##y##. Solve it for ##w(y)## and then solve the equation ##y'^2 = w(y)## by taking square roots and separation of variables. It should all work, at least in principle. The last integration might be interesting. Good luck.

Last edited:
What you could do is solve the homogeneous equation by finding the characteristic polynomial. After, use variation of parameters to find the solution to the nonhomogeneous equation. I prefer this method myself. Pauls Online Math notes has a good set of notes covering DEs

Related to Need help solving second-order nonlinear differential eq

1. What is a second-order nonlinear differential equation?

A second-order nonlinear differential equation is a mathematical equation that involves the second derivative of a function and includes nonlinear terms, meaning that the function is not proportional to its variables. This type of equation is commonly used to model complex physical systems in science and engineering.

2. How do I solve a second-order nonlinear differential equation?

Solving a second-order nonlinear differential equation requires using advanced mathematical techniques such as substitution, integration, or series expansion. It is often helpful to first rewrite the equation in a standard form and then apply the appropriate method to find a solution.

3. Can all second-order nonlinear differential equations be solved analytically?

No, not all second-order nonlinear differential equations have analytic solutions. Some equations may require numerical methods or approximation techniques to find a solution. However, there are many commonly used techniques for solving a wide range of second-order nonlinear differential equations.

4. What are some real-life applications of second-order nonlinear differential equations?

Second-order nonlinear differential equations are used to model a variety of physical phenomena, including electrical circuits, pendulum motion, population growth, and chemical reactions. They are also used in fields such as mechanics, biology, and economics to understand and predict complex systems.

5. How can I use second-order nonlinear differential equations in my research or work?

Second-order nonlinear differential equations can be used in a wide range of scientific and engineering fields to model and analyze complex systems. They can also be used to make predictions, optimize designs, and solve problems in various applications. It is important to have a strong understanding of differential equations and their applications before using them in research or work.