Need help solving functional analysis problem

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving a 2-times continuously differentiable function in a closed interval and the equation u''(x)+u(x)=Wf(x). The solution involves finding the proof for this equation and using the general form of the solution for y'' + y = 0 to prove the constancy of ##\phi '\psi-\psi '\phi ##.
BaitiTamam
hello everyone!
I had a stuck in solving problem for a week now, so need help.
Please help!

the problem is as follows.In a closed interval [itex]I=[0,\pi][/itex], the 2-times continuously differentiable function [itex]\phi(x)[/itex] and [itex]\psi(x)[/itex] meet the following conditions (they're ranged in [itex]\mathbb{R}[/itex]).

[itex]\psi ''(x)+\psi(x)=\phi ''(x)+\phi(x)=0[/itex]

Assume [itex]f(x)[/itex] be a continuous function defined in [itex]I[/itex], and let [itex]G(x,y), u(x)[/itex] as followings.
[tex]G(x,y)=\Bigg\{\begin{array}{l}\phi(x)\psi(y)\quad (0\leq y\leq x\leq \pi) \\ \psi(x)\phi(y)\quad (0\leq x\leq y\leq \pi) \end{array}
\\\\
u(x)=\int^\pi_0 G(x,y)f(y)dy[/tex]

Now my question is, what would be a proof for the equation: [itex]u''(x)+u(x)=Wf(x)[/itex] (for [itex]\exists W[/itex] is a constant).

I found u''(x)+u(x) constantly becomes 0 (for reason that [itex]u''(x)=\displaystyle{\int^\pi_0 \frac{\partial^2G(x,y)}{\partial{x}^2}f(y)dy} = -u(x)[/itex]).Any hidden concept or my ignorance makes this so hard?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
[tex]
u(x)=\int^\pi_0 G(x,y)f(y)dy = \int_0^x G(x, y) f(y) dy+ \int_x^{\pi} G(x, y) f(y) dy
\\ = \int_0^x \phi(x) \psi(y) f(y) dy+ \int_x^{\pi} \psi(x) \phi(y) f(y) dy
\\ = \phi(x) \int_0^x \psi(y) f(y) dy+ \psi(x)\int_x^{\pi} \phi(y) f(y) dy
[/tex]

Differentiate this carefully and you will see that your conclusion ## u''(x) = -u(x) ## is incorrect.

>voko
with your denotation, I found that [itex]u''=-u+(\phi '\psi-\psi '\phi)f[/itex] conveys the 1st differencial of [itex]\phi '\psi-\psi '\phi[/itex]equals to 0 leads its constancy.
Thank you!

##\phi '\psi-\psi '\phi ## is not zero generally. It is a constant. The two functions are solutions of y'' + y = 0, and the general form of the solution is well known. Use it to prove the constancy of ##\phi '\psi-\psi '\phi ##.

Hello,

It seems like you are trying to solve a functional analysis problem involving continuous functions and integration. This type of problem can be quite challenging, so it is understandable that you have been stuck for a week.

Firstly, let me clarify some notation for the benefit of those reading this response. In the given problem, \phi(x) and \psi(x) are two continuous, twice continuously differentiable functions defined on the closed interval I=[0,\pi]. They satisfy the following conditions:

\psi ''(x)+\psi(x)=\phi ''(x)+\phi(x)=0

Furthermore, we have a continuous function f(x) defined on the same interval I. We define two new functions G(x,y) and u(x) as follows:

G(x,y)=\Bigg\{\begin{array}{l}\phi(x)\psi(y)\quad (0\leq y\leq x\leq \pi) \\ \psi(x)\phi(y)\quad (0\leq x\leq y\leq \pi) \end{array}

u(x)=\int^\pi_0 G(x,y)f(y)dy

Now, the question is asking for a proof of the equation:

u''(x)+u(x)=Wf(x) (for \exists W is a constant).

In other words, we need to show that there exists a constant W such that the given equation holds for any choice of f(x).

You have already made some progress in your attempt to solve this problem. You have shown that u''(x)+u(x) is always equal to 0. This is because u''(x) can be written as an integral involving the second derivative of G(x,y) with respect to x, and this derivative is equal to -u(x) (as you have correctly shown).

However, this does not necessarily imply that u''(x)+u(x)=Wf(x) for some constant W. In fact, it is not true in general. To prove this, we can consider a counterexample. Let us choose a specific function f(x) and see if we can find a constant W such that the equation holds.

Let f(x) = x. Then, u(x) = \int^\pi_0 G(x,y)ydy = \frac{1}{2}x^2\psi(x).

Now, let us assume that there exists

Related to Need help solving functional analysis problem

1. What is functional analysis?

Functional analysis is a branch of mathematics that focuses on the study of vector spaces and linear transformations between them. It is a fundamental tool in the fields of mathematics, physics, and engineering.

2. What is the purpose of solving a functional analysis problem?

The purpose of solving a functional analysis problem is to understand the structure and properties of a given vector space and the linear transformations acting on it. This knowledge allows us to solve various mathematical and physical problems, such as optimization and differential equations.

3. What are some common techniques used to solve functional analysis problems?

Some common techniques used to solve functional analysis problems include the use of linear algebra, topology, and measure theory. Other techniques such as spectral theory, variational methods, and fixed point theorems are also frequently utilized.

4. How can functional analysis be applied in real-world problems?

Functional analysis has various applications in real-world problems, such as signal processing, quantum mechanics, and control theory. It also has practical applications in fields like economics, computer science, and data analysis.

5. What are some resources for learning functional analysis?

There are many resources available for learning functional analysis, including textbooks, online courses, and lecture notes. It can also be helpful to attend workshops and conferences, and to seek guidance from experienced mathematicians or professors.